Neymar's Biography

Neymar da Silva Santos Junior was born on 5 February 1992. He is know as Neymar Jr. Brazilian professional who plays for Spanish club and also on the national team. Neymar drew attention for his impressive soccer abilities at an early age. He emerged as a star for Santos FC as a teenager, winning four straight player of the year awards while becoming one of Brazil's most popular public figures. In May 2013, the gifted youngster announced his move to Europe to play for Spanish powerhouse FC Barcelona.

He's the son of a former professional soccer player, Neymar followed in his father's footsteps by playing street games and futsal, an indoor version of the game. He joined the Portuguese Santista youth club in 1999, and within a few years was one of the most highly regarded young talents in the country. Neymar joined the youth system of Santos FC at age 11. News of his abilities spread to Europe, and he was offered the chance to continue his development with Real Madrid C.F. at age 14, but the Santos team's management reportedly convinced Neymar to stay put with a large bonus. Neymar made his senior debut for Santos in 2009 and lived up to the hype by earning the league's Best Young Player award. He emerged as a full-blown star in 2010, helping Santos claim the league and Copa do Brazil championships en route to the first of three straight scoring titles and four straight Player of the Year awards. That season he also made his debut for the senior national team and debuted a Mohawk-style haircut, which quickly became popular among younger fans. Neymar scored his 100th professional goal on his 20th birthday in 2012 and finished the year with a career-best total of 43. Although Santos won its third straight league title, the young star again was subject to criticism when Brazil lost the 2012 Summer Olympics gold-medal game to an underdog Mexico team.

In May 2013, Neymar announced he was making the leap to Europe with a transfer to FC Barcelona, a powerful club that featured superstar Argentina striker Lionel Messi and several members of the Spanish national team. Soon afterward, the wonder kind silenced a share of his critics by leading Brazil to victory in the 2013 Confederations Cup, indicating his readiness to shoulder bigger expectations on the world stage. Neymar's performance shined in the 2014 World Cup on his home turf of Brazil, but was cut short before the finals. On July 4, 2014, minutes before Brazil won its quarter-final match against Colombia, Neymar was carried from the field in a stretcher in tears of agony after breaking a bone in his back resulting from a challenge by Colombia's defender Juan Zuniga. Reports have indicated the injury will take weeks to heal and the athlete will be sidelined for the remainder of the tournament. Brazil's hope for the World Cup title was dashed when they lost their next semifinal match to Germany 7-1.

In 2011 Neymar received nominations for the , where he came 10th, and the for Goal of the Year, which he won. He is known for his acceleration, skills, finishing and ability with both feet. His playing style has earned him critical acclaim, with fans, media and former players drawing comparison to former Brazil forward , who has called Neymar "an excellent player", while , and have stated "he will be the best in the world." The Spanish club paid 50 million euros for the Brazilian star, for a 5-year deal that will allow Neymar to earn 7 million euros per year, plus a 1 million euros bonus if he ends up winning the FIFA Balon d'Or, an award which his current teammate Lionel Messi has won for the past 4 straight years and with that always leaving Cristiano Ronaldo behind him. Earlier in the year, Neymar has also announced that he was on a relationship with a new girlfriend, the Brazilian actress from Globo, Bruna Marquezine.

He became a father to little Davvi Luca when he was 19 years old. Neymar has refused to reveal the identity of the mother to "protect her and the child".

Neymar won the South American Footballer of the Year Award in 2011 and 2012. In 2012, he was featured on the cover of the Pro Evolution Soccer video game along with Cristiano Ronaldo. In 2012 he scored a hat-trick for Brazil in a friendly against China.