"You - You're really into him, aren't you?" She asked next.

And I watched him, the way he smiled as Conor gripped his arm, speaking more emphatically now, the way he licked his lips before he replied, the way I was sure I could make out his deep voice over the music, the thrum of it entering my ears and humming through my bones.

I forgot to respond.

"Hey," someone called from my left, and I looked over to find David, three cups precariously clutched in his hands. I reached up and took one, and thanked him.

"Didn't know if you were done with yours," he said to Shantal, but held a cup out anyway, "Figured I'd bring one over just in case you were."

Shantal smiled, and accepted it, "You're always thinking, Davey."

"Oh, come on," David said, sitting beside me, "I just brought you a drink and you're still going to call me 'Davey?'"

"Mm," Shantal grumbled, removing the cup from her lips and swallowing, "Yep."

David laughed, shaking his head as he lifted his cup to his lips. I followed suit, my eyes moving back to Harry as the fruity drink rolled over my tongue. He was now in a full-blown conversation with three of the boys - Conor, Julian, and now Tommy, too, whose usual outward appearance of indifference had shifted to one of stunned silence when we walked in - and I wondered if I should go over or leave them, if Harry was uncomfortable at all and how I could make sure none of them were saying anything mean or incriminating.

But he smiled, and laughed then. A real one. I could tell.

"You owe me, you know."

David was looking right at me when I finally drew my gaze away from Harry, "Hm?"

"You owe me."

I let that statement sit between us for a moment, but it still didn't register in my mind, "Owe you what?"

"A game of pong," David was smiling now, his scruffy cheeks lifting with it, "We agreed to be partners last time remember?"

The sense of relief in knowing that was all David wanted confused me a bit, but I laughed anyway, "Not really, to be honest."

David chuckled, and I took another gulp of my drink, "Fair. You were pretty smashed that night."

"Don't remind me."

"Sorry," David smiled, and we were both quiet for a few moments before he went on, "So, how's it going?"

I sighed, knowing full well what he was really asking, but fearful of giving too much away, "It's good."

"From that smile on your face, I'd say things are better than good."

I looked at him then, and both of our smiles grew bigger, and I nudged him with a shoulder, "That's a pretty safe bet."

"Are you guys going to clue me in as to what you're talking about or leave me to guess?" Shantal asked from beside me, and I sat back, giggling and embarrassed because I had forgotten she was there.

"Just school. Maddie was really worried about her American Lit essay, weren't you, Maddie?" David might as well have winked at me, and left me no choice but to play along.

"So stressed. But it turned out fine," I looked right at Shantal, "Got an A."

She squinted at me, "I feel like that's a lie, but I'm going to let it slide."

I held a hand up to my heart in mock offense, "Are you doubting my paper-writing abilities?"

"Not at all," Shantal said, "I know you've got a way with words, girl."