Mind Control 2

MIND CONTROL 2

A short story by Alvin Atwater

Continued three days after story one...

"What do you want, so late, Gemini?" I said softly. She stood outside of my open window.

"I wanted to show you something, Matt. I know it's midnight, but I couldn't sleep after discovering something so epic. I wanted to wait until the morning but you know..."

"Alright, alright, just keep quiet. I don't want my uncle getting the wrong idea." Gemini crawled into my window, tripped over my prized basketball signed by Jordan himself, and fell on top of me. I groaned in pain. "Get off."

"Sorry, sorry," Gemini said as she stood.

"What's so important that you had to interrupt my amazing dream?" I asked as I sat up.

"Is it a dream of –" Gemini started to ask but I quickly interrupted her.

"No. I told you already, I don't have any crush. That's just a stupid rumor Chelsea started –and besides, Brandon likes her."

"Surrrree," she said.

"Whatever. Are you jealous?"

"Don't get full of yourself," Gemini said. "Anyway, these are what I wanted to show you."

She revealed a bag and pulled two black drumsticks from them. I stared at her blankly.

"You're kidding me right? What's so amazing about these?"

"Watch, idiot. I wouldn't come all the way here with just plain sticks." Gemini pointed one of the sticks at my basketball. Suddenly, it floated in midair. I jumped back, startled.

"Holy...whoa, what the hell?" I was at a loss of words. Then it came back to me: I'm dealing with Gemini here. "You stole these from the Mystery Club didn't you?"

"Not really. My assignment is to investigate wands which were found in a box hidden in lost Iyan tribe ceremonial ruins."

"The Iyans huh?" I said with a sigh, "not those guys again."

"Oh come on, you know they're fun."

Gemini gave the wand another wave, which allowed my basketball to descend. She tossed me the second one. "You're helping me with the research."

I tossed the wand back to her. "Nope! Not happening. I want nothing more to do with the Iyans."

Gemini sat on my bed. "I'm part Iyan. Are you saying you want nothing more to do with me?"

That sentence sort of shook my nerves a bit. I've known Gemini since we were kids and we've definitely had our share of good times and bad times. Even the bad times were somewhat fun, but the cost of this was pain and embarrassment...oh, so much embarrassment ... Such a cruel price to pay –me—a boy who wished for nothing more than just a normal life. That aside, I knew Gemini even before I met Brandon, so saying something that wouldn't annihilate this friendship wasn't quite easy. But if I don't think of anything, Gemini and her way-too-smart brain will barge the Iyans into my life. I'll be done for! "Don't put it that way. I just don't want to bother their objects anymore."

"I'm giving you permission to bother them."

"I still don't want to get involved any further with the Iyans. No offense, but you're already a handful."