Blackfyre: Chapter Six

When Rhaenys woke up, the sun wasn't up yet. Yet, she jumped on her brother's bed.

"Come on, Jake! Wake up! It's morning!"

Jacob slowly opened his eyes and looked around. "Liar, it's still dark."

"Well,...it will be morning soon. Get up, let's go downstairs!"

"But Mother said our pups will be here at dawn." he protested.

He did get up, however. The two kids got dressed and stood in front of the window, waiting impaciently for dawn to come. When they saw the sun's first light, they both ran downstairs, almost falling off the stairs as they rushed to the front door.

At the doorstep, they found two baskets filled with blankets, just like Mother had said. Rhaenys secretly thought it was much like the stories her mother told her back home in Dragonstone.

Jake sat next to one of the baskets, choosing out of instict. A small russet colored pup peeked out of the blankets and made its way to the boy.

"I think this one is yours." Rhaenys said with a laugh.

Jacob smiled and hugged it instead of answering.

The little girl tried to lift the remaining basket but she couldn't; it was too heavy.

The wolf pup was lying on top of the blankets, its light grey fur standing out against the dark cloths. Rhaenys picked it up; it wasn't heavy at all.

As she was looking through the blankets for anything else that might be there, her hand brushed against a rough, cold surface.

She started pulling the blankets out until she revealed a big round item that looked like an...egg? But eggs don't have scales right? And they're definitely not silver and gold.

When she pressed her palm against it, it felt cold at first, but the longer she held it the warmer it felt. She pressed her hand on it until it scorching hot, but she didn't get burnt; she didn't even mind the heat, she liked it.

"What is this?" Jacob asked with wide eyes.

"I don't know." his sister answer, even though she did.

She remembered the stories her father used to tell her, about Aegon the Conqueror and Old Valyria, about the dragons.

The two children stayed outside, playing with their pups. The village woke up slowly, long after the sun had come out, because of last night's feast.

Rhaenys had hid the "egg" in the blankets, so nobody saw it. She just felt like people shouldn't know about it.