Chapter Two: Quidditch Try-Outs

Start from the beginning

"Some of us don't need the basics." William sighed haughtily as he leaned back in his chair so that the front legs were off the ground. Earnestine rolled her eyes, wishing he'd simply shut up for once. 

Tom, in seeing the look Earnestine had given him, slyly whipped his wand and watched in humor as William's chair flew towards the ground and William get out a girlish yelp of terror. The entire class burst out in laughter and Tom's heart gave a small flutter at the look of awe that Earnestine had just given him; he answered her with a smile. 

"Keep your feet firmly on the ground there, William." Professor Slughorn reminded, he too had also given a small laugh at the boy's 'accident'. "Now where were we? Ah..oh yes, the basics of potion making. If everyone will kindly bring out their textbook and flip to page eighteen." 

There clearly on the page, were printed instructions on how to make a very simply anti-nausea potion that had been used even by Muggles in the ancient times; until, as the brief history on the page had informed, all witchcraft had been shunned from society. 

"You may work in pairs with those next to you," Professor Slughorn said as he finished his explanation to the young students. "Everything you need is right there in front of you. You may begin as soon as you are confident." 

"We'll just set your book in the middle to share then?" Earnestine asked Tom with a smile. 

Tom nodded, and scooted around the ingredients to make room for the book, positioning so that both students could read it clearly. "I am supposing that we should start by adding the 'Saliva of Hippogriff'?" 

Earnestine shrugged clueless as she poured what they had portioned out in front of them into the small cauldron. "That sounds about right." Turning her attention back to the instructions, she pursed her lips, making the decision of how many slug boils to toss in. "There we go, 'three medium slug boils'." 

"When these get done," The Professor called out over the working students, "I should be able to turn these in to Madame Pumphry in the hospital wing for use on the students." 

Earnestine gave a look of nervousness. Looking down into their cauldron, this was certainly not something she would ever ingest. "I hope we are doing this right." 

Tom laughed, "I think we're fine." Just then he tossed in the 'four gillyweed seeds'. 

Professor Slughorn walked passed their desk, peering into the brew inside their cauldron. Earnestine felt a heat of self-conscious nervousness. The Professor called out to the students, "Come over here, everyone." 

"Oh-no." Earnestine whispered desperately, "We've messed it up." 

"This," exclaimed the Professor once everyone had gathered around, "Is exactly what we are looking for!" Professor Slughorn looked up at Earnestine and Tom, smiling fondly. "Very excellent job, Tom, Earnestine!" 

William let out a scoff and rolled his eyes, going back to his seat; clearly not liking being shown up. Henry gave his two friends a thumbs up in approval. Earnestine smiled at him. 

Earnestine let out a breath she wasn't aware that she had been holding and let out a small laugh, her brown eyes looking up to meet Tom's matching one's that were alit with the same relief that hers held. Clearly he too had been expecting failure. The two shared a smile of victory. 

They had both found their partners for the year. 

It didn't seem, however, like Henry and William had such good chemistry in working together. Whenever Henry would pipe in, and offer his suggestions, William would ignore them and go about doing his own thing. Their lax of understanding literally exploded directly into William's pale face as he cursed and swore like no other. Henry, though, felt as if William had simply gotten what he had been asking for.