Christmas Ball : Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Wow! Whose that from?" I jumped as someone spoke right next to my ear. Turning to the side, I swiftly engulfed the smiling figure of George Weasley.

"OHMIGOD! Happy Christmas!" I greeted him, grinning widely. My day had just gotten a hundred times better. He smiled back at me, pointing to the common room entrance over my shoulder. Whipping around, I came face to face with the rest of the Weasley family- well most of it anyways. Bill, Fleur, Molly and Arthur stood in the entrance, all wearing Molly's knitted sweaters and smiling at us.

Harry was the first to reach them.

"Oh dear, Happy Christmas!" Arthur gave him a side-hug. Ginny was next. I bounded to where they stood and began my round of hugs and greetings after which we all settled on the couches in front of the fireplace.

"Blimey! It's been so long since I was here the last time." George exclaimed, running a longing gaze around the room. Everyone lapsed into silence, with identical thoughts running through their heads. It was hard to believe, still- that only half a year had passed.

Half a year since Fred died. Since Lupin, Tonks, Snape, Collin and so many other people left us forever. I looked up with tears in my eyes to catch Molly wipe her eyes with a sniff. My heart went out to her. She had always shown a strict front to the twins, but I knew deep down she loved them just as much as the rest of her kids. Fleur put a reassuring hand on her mother-in-law's shoulder, whilst the other rested on her small baby bump.

"Where's Ronald?" Molly asked after a moment. I turned around to look towards the staircase that led to the boy's dormitory to find Ron standing silently, looking deep in thought. Getting up from my place next to George, I walked to where he stood and put my hand on his arm. He jerked it away suddenly, jumping-startled.

"Earth to Ron... " I said, waving my hand in front of his face, confused by his jumpy movements. Looking closely at him, I noticed his pale skin, dark circles under his eyes and shaking hands. He looked simply battered, something out of a war zone.

"Ron, my boy! Come here!" Arthur came forward with his arms wide open and a loving smile on his face. Ron met him halfway, giving him a brief hug and jumping apart instantly. I frowned.

Something was definitely wrong with him. Of course there is, the voice in my head reminded me. It's his first Christmas without Fred. It's got to be hard for the entire family. I sighed, feeling miserable as a smiling picture of Fred flashed through my mind.

Sighing again, I went back to sit with the rest of the Weasleys and Harry. We were shortly joined by Neville, Seamus and Parvati. The rest of the morning was spent taking a round of the whole castle and grounds. We had our lunch in the Great Hall, with many other guests who were probably here for the Ball and a visit to Hagrid's.

I'd spotted Draco sitting with his mother at the table as I made my way out of the hall and when he caught my eye, I smiled at him. His eyes traveled down to the pendant resting on my chest and he returned a slow smile. I couldn't mistake the butterflies that erupted in my stomach at that moment, blood rushing up my neck.

Soon it was time for everyone to get ready. I decided to get ready in the Room of Requirement since the Girl's Dormitory was crowded. I'd promised the rest of my friends to meet outside the Room of Requirements around seven.

Standing in front of the mirror, I briefly glanced at the grandfather clock in the corner- still had ten minutes to go. Reverting my attention back to my mirage, I was stunned to see the woman staring back at me once again.

I'd grown from a buck-toothed, frizzy haired, plain girl into a curvy, confident, powerful woman.

My brown hair, which were twisted up elegantly into a chignon, my long sleeved crimson dress, with a slit on the side to show a white smooth milky leg paired with high platform heels and accentuating makeup with a bold red lip had transformed me completely. I was the same Hermione Granger, yet more confident with a touch of sexy and glamorous.