only ones who know

I woke up early, around 7, to the sound of the birds chirping on the tree and the heavy breathing of the 21 year old sleeping no more than 2ft from me. Van's hand was gently rest on mine and his hair looked thicker than usual as it was sprawled out across the pillow.

When we reached mine at about half two, we were both knackered. Van had walked me home and I offered for him stay due to the long walk back. For a while, we were just sat in my bedroom talking about nothing in particular, avoiding the topic of the night's recent events then I just let him stay upstairs with me. Now I couldn't help but observe the boy, how his profuse eyelashes grew to be even thicker when he closed his eyes and his dimples appeared as he yawned and scrunched up his face.

Although I enjoyed our kiss, and it felt incredibly relieving, it was strange. I'd never felt anything romantical towards Van until then. It was only yesterday that I thought of Van as having potential to be anything more than a friend. Until then, he was one of my best mates, like Amy but with extra perks like I get to fall asleep on him. I'd never caught feelings for anything so quickly. Mind saying that, Van had made me blush more times than anyone I can think of - apart from when I met Alex Turner before a gig and he was super charming, I still blush thinking about that.

I shuffled out of the sheets as lightly as possible in order not to wake the peacefully sleeping boy. I pulled my hoodie over my head and made my way downstairs. Thankfully, Sam had stayed with James and Danny and my mam and dad were over at Scarborough to go to my dad's childhood friend's wedding, so no one had to meet Van.

A recap of Never Mind The Buzzcocks was on the telly and I heard thumping on the stairs. Turning round, I saw a tired looking Van stood at the bottom of the stairs and come sit next to me on the couch.

"Alright?" I asked with a yawn, still tired since I usually wake up at least two hours later than usual. Van nodded, rubbing his eyes with his fist before replying.

"'Time is it?" I pressed the button on the remote.

"Half past 7," I told him, yawning again, "D'ya wanna brew?"

"Of course," he responded, looking at me with a mocking face.

Leaning against the greenish worktop, deciding that that can keep me up rather than my limbs, I put the kettle on and waited. I could see out the back doors the grey clouds that engulfed the blue sky. It was gonna rain. That wasn't too bad though. It meant I could get my jumper's out rather than my summer attire, and I could have endless games of band hero with Sam when he comes in, and I can order in a curry or sommat.

I let my eyes close, and it was incredibly relaxing. But when the kettle stopped boiling, my eyes flew open and started rushing around for the supplies needed for a brew. I didn't even notice Van stood there until I struggled opening the tea bag pot and Van laughed and offered to do it for me.

"You need a hand?" he asked with an amused smirk on his face, attempting to take the pot out of my hands but I kept my grip, pulling it back to my stomach with a great struggle.

"No, I can do it myself," I responded, tugging on the handle of the pot. My hand soon grew sweaty, and slipped off the handle and ended thumping myself in the nose. I laughed ecstatically, and the tone of Van's laughter matched mine exactly as I passed him the pot.

"Don't worry, I'll do it," he said, nudging me out the way with his hip. I jumped up onto the worktop to get out of Van's way as he rushed around the kitchen to get everything.

"Where's the fridge?" He asked confusedly, but, I'm assuming, rhetorically as he stood up, scanning the cupboards trying to locate the fridge a he scratched the back of his head, messing it up a bit. "You've hidden the fucking fridge!"

I let out a hearty laugh at his statement and struggle. Eventually, he located the fridge after opening various of the cupboards and got out the milk and soon whipped up two cups of tea.

"One cup of tea for the lady," he said, passing me an Oasis mug. And lifting his up to clink with it. "Cheers me dear."

"Cheers me dear," I laughed, returning his clink and taking a sip before putting my mug down to let it cool off. I shuffled on the worktop and crossed my legs with a sigh. Van placed his hands either side of me on the worktop, looking at me expectantly. "What are we gonna do?"

"What do you mean?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"Are we honestly gonna pretend that we didn't kiss last night?" I replied, looking him in the eye, exasperated.

"No, course not," he replied softly, calming me slightly, "I just don't think now's the best time to talk about it since I'm leaving in an hour or summet."

"Alright."

"I promise, we'll talk the next time I'm back."

With a nod, I jumped down off the worktop. I would've rather spoke about it now to be honest, then it's done but I understand where he's coming from - we'd only end up arguing.

Also, another problem was my friends. If Van and I did end up together, getting them to accept it wouldn't be the problem, but the glares and the need for constant reassurance that I'm okay and happy. They were good friends really, just pretty protective.

I walked back in the living room with Van hot on my trail. We sat on the couch and I leaned my head back on his arm that was resting over the top of the couch and complained.

"I'm never up this early, it's cause you're here," I stated and Van chuckled and ruffled my hair up a bit. His eyes lingered on me for a few seconds and the had a small smile stained onto his face from his previous snickering.

"What?" I asked, blushing with a smile that mirrored his.

"Nothing," He said, and the reached down to grab my hand. He entwined his fingers with mine, still looking at me warmly, before speaking again but more softly, "You're blocking the view."

"I am the view!" I exclaimed, pulling my hand away from his with a laugh.

-

For the next hour or so, we stayed on the couch. I had quickly gotten showered and stuff, but was still clad in my hoodie only now with my mom jeans on my bottom half. My legs were sprawled across Van's lap, and his arm held me close to him as we watched whatever was on the telly, and it just happened to be The Lost Boys. Although, we weren't really watching it, more just savagely slagging it off.

"How fucking bad's this though?" I asked, doing an impression of the characters in the current scene, "Hey Michael! How're those maggots?"

"Yeah, but it's the 80's. This'll have been fucking great," Van responded, "And, it can't get much worse than Twilight."

We were just chatting throughout the film and flicking between channels when it got particularly boring. Van's phone suddenly chimed, and his phone screen lit up with a text from Larry.

"I have to go," he said, and I removed my legs from his with a sigh. His fingers tangled with mine again, pulling me up with him as he rose from the couch. We walked to hall, stopping before reaching the porch and Van placed his lips on mine.

It was much more rushed, and more clumsy. His free hand was placed on the back of my neck, caught in my hair slightly. It soon ended as he pulled away and I was once again disappointed at the loss of contact. Van walked to the door, putting on his shoes.

"Wait, can we not tell anyone yet?" I said, quickly as he reached for the door handle. He looked hurt for a second, but nodded and I felt obliged to continue, "I just don't want any comments or jokes until we've sorted it out."

"Yeah, 'course," He said, as he stepped out of the door and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me into a hug. I put my arm around his shoulder as much as I could reach and he spoke into my hair, "I'll see you on the 26th, yeah?" 

"Oh my god," I replied, remembering his statement from yesterday to turn up to watch those little reflective disks of hell, "Yeah, I'll see you then." I laughed as Van pulled away and kissed my cheek before running over to the Van and all the lads inside waved bye to me.

--

A/N: Hey, not really done one of these before. But if you could read my new Van fic, You're A Germ, that would be v cool, cheers.