Floating in Fog

Judy leaned against the slick, red-painted iron railing of the Clark Addison bridge, staring out at the fog. She had always liked fog and walking in fog. She knew that fog made some people uneasy, but she had always been attracted to it. She still enjoyed jogging in the fog, even though she was out of high school and would probably never run in competition again.

She sighed as her enjoyment faded and she looked around her one last time. She could see the glow from the Granite City street lights in the fog to her right. The fog was even muffling the sounds of traffic but it didn't sound like there were any vehicles coming her way. "Good. 'There'll never be a better time," she thought to herself. Then she started climbing up on the railing. The gangly 20 year old, dressed in her favorite faded blue jeans and GCU sweat shirt, balanced precariously on the slippery metal, leaning up against a massive upright metal beam for balance.

She looked out on the fog again and smiled. She wondered if would feel like the fog was supporting her as she fell through it.

"No, it won't. You'll still feel like you are plumeting towards the river with no support at all."

At the sound of the unexpected voice, Judy turned suddenly and her foot slipped out from beneath her. It took an acrobatic ten seconds of twisting, pulling, shoving, and frantic arm waving before she got her balance back again.

Gasping for breath, the short brunette turned to face the source of the voice. Leaning against the railing, staring out into the fog, was a tall, thin, dark-skinned woman with graying black hair hanging halfway down her back. Beside the woman was a tall stick about as tall as the dark woman. Like the woman, the stick looked to be old and well-used. The woman slowly turned to look at the young lady. She saw a thin youth who was even thinner than she was. The youngster's eyes were red from weeping and premature lines told a story of a short life with many disappointments.

Still trying to collect herself after the near-fall, Judy spoke the first words that came into her head. "I'm sorry. What did you say?"

The dark womand smiled up at her. Judy noticed that her eyes were dark, although in this light she couldn't tell what color they were. "You were wondering if it would feel like the fog was supporting you after you jumped. I said that it wouldn't."

Judy was caught off-guard by the casual comment. "I didn't think I had said that out loud."

The woman smiled and turned back to look out at the fog. "You didn't, but I've been around for a long time and you're easy to read."

Judy blinked. "I am?"

"You are." The woman paused for a second enjoying the fog. "You know, Miss, fog is very special. It takes unusual conditions to make fog. You need so much humidity, no wind, no sun to burn it away. I could go on, but I prefer enjoying its beauty in silence, rather than talking about it."

Judy turned and looked out over the fog-bound river. The fog was thick enough that nothing else was visible, other than this short section of bridge that the two found themselves on. She couldn't see the river or even the city lights, although they had made the fog to their right a brilliant white cloud.

She found herself responding to the older woman's comments. "I know. I've always enjoyed being out in the fog. Blizzards are fun too, but down here in Granite City, we don't get any real blizzards, and fog is pretty rare too."

"Fog in the desert is to be doubly appreciated." The older woman fell silent. Judy's legs started trembling so she carefully lowered herself down to sit on the railing. Sitting down, she found herself staring at the other woman's strong profile. Were those darker dots at the edge of her face? Maybe part of a tattoo? In the tricky light, Judy couldn't be sure. Suddenly uneasy to be staring at the woman so intently, Judy turned her head to face the fog too.