Chapter Two

Looking back on it, Dari realized this was one of her worst plans yet.

 She hit the river with a dull splash, the water engulfing her and silencing out the firework explosions and ranting of that Calliann girl. Of course, she could understand why she was being so high and mighty. Water Clan children always thought of themselves as the best, simply because of that whole planetary war thing. They had been one of the most commanding clans for years now, and were bred to hate fire elementalists.

  It didn't help at all she'd just been beaten.

 Dari smirked a little, remembering to hold her breath. Her hair swirled around her in the dark water, appearing black as night. Bubbles streamed past her, tickling against her skin. With a hard kick, Dari pushed off, swimming in the direction she knew that the mountain string would be located, hiding the Fire Clan city. Even if she had grown up in Fire Clan, she was still taught how to do the basic swimming strokes, in case a situation of this manner ever happened to her. She pushed with her arms, keeping her breathing steady as to conserve air. She could hold her breath for 30-40 seconds at the most, she supposed, but she would have to figure out what to do after that.

  What could she do? Dari was running out of ideas. It was bad enough that she had been caught by a water elementalist, worse that she was now stuck in a river. Even with the slight current pushing toward the mountains, there was no way she could get out of the way fast enough.

  Suddenly, the water around her stirred, whipping around her body. It swirled into a whirlpool, sucking Dari inside. In an instant, she was rising, being pulled out of the water and into the air, her stomach dropping. The water broke around her, lifting her into the night air. Dari stifled a scream, not wanting to show weakness. Below, Calliann moved her finger in a circle lazily. Of course, she thought. I just jumped in a big body of water next to a water elementalist. Stupid much?

  " Well it would seem the big bad fire girl didn't have that great an escape plan, did she?"

 Dari glared down at her,  kicking at the water restraining herself from cursing.

  " Don't get your hopes up water girl, I'm not out of tricks yet."

  With a yell, Dari pushed her arms outs, fire exploding out of the air. The huge whirlpool holding her up evaporated, tiny drops of water raining down as she plummeted back to earth. The wind rushed past her as she fell. Her hair flew out behind her, her cloak billowing and cracking in the wind blowing past. At the last minute, she gathered her strength, pushing out behind her to summon a layer of fire. It enveloped her as she landed in it, building her power. With a quick wave, the fire disapeared, leaving Dari standing facing Calliann.That watery idiot.

 Calliann paced forward,staring at Dari quizically.

 " You are extinct. Your kind is completely extinct." She twirled a small ball of water in the air as she had done the last time. " But what are you doing in the Water Clan capitol, considering you should be dead?"

 She smirked, feeling the fiery energy build inside me. " I get that alot you know."  She turned, starting to walk. "Now I really must go. It's been fun, but I advise that you don't follow me Callie dear." With a wave, she began to strut off.

  Before she'd  taken two steps, a splash of cold water hit her in the back, running down to my feet. She tensed as it made contact, her eyes narrowing in red hot fury.

 Turning around, she glared at Calliann murderously.  Calliann looked back grimly. " You can't leave yet...."

 Before she could blink, Dari had her pinned against a tree. She lowered her face inches from Calliann. " Look water girl, I told you not to follow me. And I wasn't kidding. So I expect this to be the last time you see me. Understood?" Dari cocked her head expectently.