TSCC: Episode 1, Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

"I'm not sure. But Cameron should stay in your tent until I've spoken with Allison. I'll let you know when I have."

"Thank you." John had just finished his lunch, so sensing the end of the conversation, he got up and disposed of his plate before heading back to the tent.

_______________________________________________________

When John got back to the tent, he found Cameron in the same position she'd been in when he left. He smiled to himself.

"That wasn't too long."

"It wasn't? Good. I wish you didn't have to stay here. Kyle's going to talk to Allison, and I assume everyone else, but then you'll be able to come out."

"Good. It makes me nervous not being able to patrol and assess threats. Especially when I can't see where you are."

"I know. I'm sorry. Tell you what, I promise to stay here until we get the all-clear, okay?

"Okay." Cameron smiled, which warmed John up inside.

They sat there in silence for a few minutes, neither knowing what to do or say. Finally, Cameron broke the silence.

"John?"

"Yeah, Cam?"

"What about Sarah?"

"What about her?" John hedged, pretty sure what she was getting at but not wanting to say it.

"Did she stay behind?"

"Yes."

"I bet she's angry."

"Probably. But when I was leaving, she seemed to understand. She knew that I would come after you."

"But I'm sure she'll be angry when we get back."

"Yeah, that's for sure."

"Cameron?"

"Yes, John?"

"Why did you give John Henry your chip?"

Cameron took a moment to respond. This worried John. She never took this long to form a response. Maybe she's about to lie to me.

"I knew what John Henry was going to do. And I believed in his mission. Also, that body was damaged beyond repair. It was unpredictable."

"The twitching...."

"Yes, the twitching, but also the damage done in the prison was too much." This upset John as he realized that it was his fault this had all happened. He'd gone against what his mother wanted, and had hurt Cameron in the process. Great job, John. "I knew that if John Henry traveled to the future, he could fix me. And he promised he would."

"And you trusted him?"

"I had no reason not to. John Henry is on our side."

"How can you know that?"

"I don't know. I just do."

John decided to just trust Cameron on that. For some reason, he felt like John Henry was on their side as well. Probably because of the help the T-1000 had given John over the past 24 hours.

"I'm sorry I lied to you, John."

"I'm sorry I couldn't fix you."

"Don't be, John. It's not your responsibility. Not yet."

"But it could be. It should be."

"But it's not. So don't worry about it. You have too much stress as it is. Why do you always insist on adding more?"