The Coin: You're My Superhero

This is written as an entry for a superhero promt contest by xX_DemonWolf_Xx.

"I'm a superhero."

"Wha-?"

"I'm a superhero."

I readjusted my grip on the phone and flipped onto my back. I glanced at the clock to see that it was 5:30. I groaned.

"Matt, I love you, you know I do. You're my best buddy. But I've had like thirty minutes of sleep, and I have an exam tomorrow. I'm sure I can ace it, but sleep deprivation makes my brain go mush and I really really need-"

"Claire! Are you listening to me?

"Unfortunately." I said under my breath.

"I'm a superhero!"

"Yes, I know you're amazing. So be an amazing friend and let me sleep."

"Claire!"

"Oh my god! I need sleep! Matt! I have an exam tomorrow! English!" I whisper-shouted, just in case I wake my dad.

"I know. I have the same class, remember?" He said. He was probably rolling his eyes. I groaned. He was a horrible friend. "So listen. I'm-"

"A superhero! I get it, Matt. And I need to be a super-student tomorrow." I thumped my head on my pillow repeatedly.

"Hey, look out your window."

I groaned and rolled up from the bed. I probably had all the sleep I could have a anyway. I couldn't believe that Matt would do this when he knew how much this exam meant to me. I rubbed my eyes as I walked to the window and opened it. My eyes were half closed, but I forced them open to look out the window.

"Holy mother-!!" I dropped my phone and gaped at Matt. "Oh my god. You're a superhero."

Matt was floating right in front of my window, grinning like a mad man, and looking a little scared. He waved at me and floated right into my room.

"That's what I've been saying for the last five minutes!"

I poked at his arm. He still felt like a human. "What did you do?"

He frowned and crossed his arm defensively. "Why is it that whenever something happens, everyone thinks I did something?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Because you did do most of them."

"Well, not this one!" He swore, blushing a bit. "I went for a run, like everyday. One minute I was running and the next, I'm running on air!"

"Shh!" I shushed him when he got overly loud. "My dad's sleeping! He had a rough day."

"Sorry." He said sheepishly. "But!! Superpowers!"

"Superpowers? As in plural?"

"I went home right away. And then I... I lifted dad's car. With one arm. And I didn't even feel it!"

"Your dad's.... You mean the tractor?" I asked, amused.

"It's the same thing." He blushed and pouted.

"It really isn't, but go on. Do you have other powers?"

"No. But I live in a farm, and can fly and have super-strength. You think I'm going to have heat vision anytime soon?"

I patted his shoulder in mock sympathy. "Sorry, Clark Kent. I don't think you're from outer space. I would've noticed it if you were an alien."

"But in Smallville, Pete was Clark's best friend and had no idea he was one."