Hello, I Love You (Chapter Fifteen)

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"Hey Arden!" Wendell greeted his cousin. Arden still hadn't caught sight of me, so I backed up and hid behind a chair on the front porch. I peered around the side of it and gripped the edge tightly. Chipped white paint clung to my fingers, and I couldn't help but imagine Mrs. Reynolds's reaction to this minuscule flaw. I briefly smiled to myself.

"Hi," Arden addressed Wendell, and I snapped my head in his direction. "Long time no see."

"Tell me about it," Wendell joked, grinning. "Just like old times."

"Just like old times," Arden repeated, agreeing with him.

They were good friends? I pondered internally. Honestly, their two personalities were so different, it didn't seem as if they'd even be acquaintances.

Arden beamed and I squeezed my eyes shut. His smile brought back memories that I did not want to relive. I wished more than anything to escape to the backyard - it was either face Arden or Mrs. Reynolds. In this case, Mrs. Reynolds won... I shook my head incredulously; I never thought I'd say that.

"My mom wants to talk to your mom," Arden suddenly announced, inspecting the yard for any sight of his aunt.

"Erm... well, you see, the thing is..." Wendell trailed off, glancing around nervously.

"You didn't tell her I was coming," Arden sighed, stating it rather than asking. "My mom hates it when you do that."

"I'll get my mother," Wendell muttered, meandering across the yard. Arden followed him loyally, whispering something under his breath. Wendell chortled and answered; their exchange of conversation was inaudible, unfortunately.

"Cora!" screeched Mrs. Reynolds, rounding the opposite corner of the house just as Arden's mom grew exasperated and drove away. I leaped in surprise and she caught sight of me. "Come here now," she demanded, rage apparent on her facial features.

Apart from a few exceptions, I don't think there's any serious situation I couldn't morph into humor, especially at a time where I wished to forget... specific people. I saluted Mrs. Reynolds and began marching towards her, responding, "Yes, ma'am!"

Almost instantaneously, squeals suddenly pierced the air, and two Reynolds children came hurtling into the front yard. Mrs. Reynolds focused her gaze on them.

"Elijah, stop!" Daylan giggled, her burgundy hair sopping wet. Elijah was proceeding in pouring a carton of milk over Daylan's head as she scampered away from him. Mrs. Reynolds frantically rushed towards the duo, completely forgetting my existence. Not that I minded, though.

"Tell your mom to leave, and that it's taken care of," Wendell's voice rang from the side of the house. "I'm sure my mom won't mind having you."

I spotted Arden's silhouette race to the where his mother's car was parked, only to find she had driven away. He shrugged, and I scurried onto the front porch and behind the chair once more, before realizing that was the worst possible action I could've chosen at the moment. Now Arden and I were sure to see one another face-to-face.

"So, do you want to go indoors?" inquired Wendell, gesturing to the front porch. I cringed and silently pleaded for Arden to refuse the offer, but luck was not on my side.

"Sure." Arden shrugged and began maneuvering towards the front door. Their footsteps pounded the wooden porch as they chatted animatedly. I squeezed my hazel eyes shut and braced myself for the absolute worst.

Suddenly, one pair of footsteps halted, and I sensed what was coming. "Cora?" Arden questioned incredulously.

I peeked an eye open and muttered, "Yes?" Wendell's face was lit with curiosity and amusement at my predicament. I scowled at him and stood up.