1.2

Everyone and their families were having a big dinner to celebrate the win. Allison was sitting beside Sam. He had his arms stretched across her thighs and his hand resting on the far thigh. He kept tapping on it while he talked to people. She could tell he was sick of talking. Sam wasn't a talkative guy. Really. He was pretty quiet. He kept making eyes at Allison. She was smiling.

Connor was watching from a distance. Allison knew he was and he didn't care if she did. He couldn't help it.

Everything she did drove him crazy. Being with Sam was the thing that drove him the craziest. Connor really didn't get it. Allison and Sam were polar opposites. What could she really find interesting about him? Connor decided to not pick at it all night. He was gonna celebrate the gold.

Allison squeezed Sam's knee. He looked over at her. She really needed to talk to him. She tilted her head towards the door. He nodded then turned back to Mandy and her parents.

Mandy had been beaming at Sam all night. Allison wasn't really jealous, just nervous. They knew each other a lot better than Al knew Sam. Sam excused them and they walked out of the room.

"We need to seriously talk." She sighed, turning to face him.

"Is it about Mandy?" He frowned. "I swear I didn't know she was coming. I don't ev,"

"It's not about Mandy. I trust you." She smiled, squeezing his hands. "It's about this—whatever this is."

"What do you want this to be?" He smirked.

"I don't know." She shrugged. "Do you think this is worth the distance?"

He shook his head. "I don't think this is." He admitted. Her face dropped. "But I think you are." She smiled a bit. He grabbed her face with both his hands. "I'd like to keep seeing you, Allison. I know we're gonna be far apart but I think it's worth trying."

She nodded, bringing her lips to his. "I think it's worth trying too."

The next day, Allison left Sam at the hotel. She would be taking the train home and Sam was on the next flight back. They promised to keep in touch. And they did.

Allison was kinda dreading going home. She wouldn't be around Sam, and knowing Kara, she'd be stuck around Connor all the time because of Dylan. She could just refuse to go, but she was a good friend.

Allison didn't bother sleeping on the train. Home was less than an hour away and she was too upset to sleep.

She walked into first period late. Like always. Kara was patiently waiting to hear all about her and Sam's final night together.

It was as exciting as Kara expected it to be. They'd finally slept together. Kara wanted all the details but Allison wasn't about to talk about that in English class. She told the story at lunch in the girls' change room to all their friends.

As January went on, Allison was more than surprised to get an apology text from Connor for how he acted towards her and Sam. She accepted it. She told Sam about it and he said he got an apology as well.

Connor's birthday came up shortly after that. Allison facetimed him to sing Happy Birthday. He thanked her.

When her birthday came at the end of the month, he did the same for her. Sam sent her a gift. It was a Kootenay jersey with his name and number. She laughed and called him to yell at him.

For Valentine's Day, Allison laid around on FaceTime with Sam all day. He was tired from his game the day before and he had one the next night. She was interrupted by Connor calling her.

He invited her to their game in Mississauga on the sixteenth. She was hesitant. She talked to Sam and he told her to go. So she did. Alone. Kara had prior engagements. She was going to London instead.

Connor had a good game. His family took Allison out for dinner after. They were asking her about life. From Sam to school. She told them everything. Connor was glad she was doing well.

He still cared about her. She was telling his mom about the scholarships she was trying to get and he was actually listening. He listened more now than he did when they were together. He was such an asshole.

"So I'm home all week." He explained after dinner when they were driving in her car.

"Oh yeah?" She said as she took the exit to his house.

"Would you be up for hanging out a couple times?" He asked.

"I have school and work, Connor." She frowned. "I can't really make trips out h-"

"I'll come to you." He shrugged.

She nodded. "Alright, we can hang out then." She told him. "I don't know what to tell Dyl about Kara though. She might be preoccupied." She rolled her eyes.

Connor shrugged. "He can talk to her himself. We're gonna have Connor and Allison time."

"That's a thing suddenly?" She laughed.

"Shut up." He shoved her.

"Do not hit the driver." She warned.