Ch. 10: The Strangest World

I curled back in on myself, folding Samhain within me, and groped for a close liminal space like an octopus seeking a hiding space among tightly packed rocks. However, I found no space--had they all closed, moved so quickly?

Reid approached, his hands held out.

"Don't go! Please, Aether?"

Even though he was nothing more than a limited little haunting ghost, he was still my haunting ghost, my Reid. I couldn't shift out on him just like that. Something deep down still fluttered upon hearing his voice. And his green eyes, sad behind his glasses. I reached out toward him, thinking to envelop him with the tendrils of my spectricity. Then the image of Sam's blackened body jumped into my mind. I couldn't--not my Reid. I wouldn't. I'd leave him, rather than destroy him, hurt him.

So I whirled into the air and searched for a crack, a crevice, but found none. Some caprice was at work here. I howled into the rain that now pounded the rocks, feeling every bit as wild as the storm. They've trapped me somehow, my family. Used Reid as bait and then entrapped me here in this space.

I could feel their messages pressing at me as I clung to the farthest corner of the sky, my hands flat against the edges of the space, seeking to unpeel it, create a passageway, escape with Samhain and my shame. The mental block Hemmett taught me had grown into a powerful barricade capable of keeping out any communication. I did not have to listen to anyone if I did not want to.

Still, my head vibrated with their urgency. Particularly Hemmett. My twin half-god. Unnaturally our connection is strongest. Finally, based more in rage than charity, I let him in. His voice warbled in and out like a bad radio connection through the thickness of my blockade.

--Aether! How could you leave me like that? I'm being blamed for what happened!

--And?

I sent the coldness of my thoughts with that one.

--I'm not the only one responsible, Aether!

--Come off it, Hemmett. We both know the Coterie blames me.

Silence. I had hit home.

His message came again, a thin voice in my head, hesitant.

--The prophecies indicate a female goddess, with black curly hair and golden eyes. But you and I know that's not the extent of it. The seers could have got it wrong.

--Oh, now you admit you're not infallible?

--It's Samhain that was infallible. Ask him yourself if he could have got it wrong.

Now I sent the full force of my fury at him.

--I have asked! He says he was wrong!

Again silence, for many moments in ecto-time. Let them digest that for awhile.

When again the voice came, it sounded tinny and far away, thinner than ever.

--Dad wants to speak to you, Aether.

I sighed, but willed the sigh back into myself. I didn't need it giving things away.

--Put him on.

Dad's voice crackled through, more focused than usual. I guess me killing my uncle got his attention.