2. I Want to See my Girlfriend (They said)

*****

(Ally said)

People from Pab's have been visiting me. They were all so kind. I was probably having the best time there. I love doing music and these people are making it happen.

"Hey yo silent heartthrob!" Ali Spag said. "I brought a copy of your songs you recorded at Pab's. They said you do not remember them but this is good music you made. I know you still got it in you."

"Thanks, Ali. Sorry I am just fangirling on you right now. Did we ever hangout?" I asked. Prior to joining Pab's and losing my memory, I am already a fan of Ali.

"Ha-ha that was also your reaction the first time we met. Of course we did. We formed an impromptu band and we occasionally had gigs together with Stevie."

"I thought Stevie is in Creatives."

"Yes she is. But Stevie has wonderful secrets too and one of it is singing. And she also does one more thing in the band."

"What is it?"

"My drum--"

Ali was cut in by the arrival of my mom and Stevie. I bet it was supposed to be an inside joke.

"Hey Spags!" Stevie said. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yes I am," Ali replied to Stevie. She gave me big hug. "Ally, I am just happy you are alive."

Stevie embraced me too. It was a different one and she did not even look at me. Stevie and Ali left.

"Mom, have you reached Torey?" I asked--of course I wanted to see my girlfriend.

"Actually Stevie had. She already made an arrangement to fly Torey here," my mom answered.

"Stevie has been doing a lot for me."

"Yes she has."

"Mom, I could feel there is something I am missing here. There is something none of you would tell me."

"How can you say that?"

"I could just tell... Can you be honest about it?"

"Actually Ally, it was Stevie's call not to tell you. But seeing how she is hurting makes all of us sad."

"What do you mean?"

"She is your girlfriend, Ally."

"Oh."

*******

(Stevie said)

Helen and I talked again earlier at the hospital. She was convincing me to tell Ally but I did not agree. It would make things more complicated especially when Torey is coming to LA.

"Stevie?" Ali said.

"Yes Spags?" I responded.

"Tell Ally."

"Tell her what?"

"Tell her you are girlfriends."

"There's no point in telling."

"I gave her her music and most of it are about you. She will figure it out."

"I wish it was that easy."

"Let us hope for the best."

As we drove away from the hospital, I got a text from Helen saying, "I had to tell her. She knows already. I am sorry, Stevie."

*******

(Ally said)

Since Mom told me about Stevie, I have been trying my best to rekindle what I had for her but there was nothing. She came by the hospital the next day as usual.

"So Helen admitted to me that you know already," Stevie said.

"I was so insistent. I am sorry," I responded apologetically.

"For being insistent or for not remembering?"

"Both."

"You don't have to."

"Why did you send Torey over here?"

"You need her more than you need me."

"I am sorry." It was the truth, at least for now. No matter what I answered it would still hurt Stevie.

"Ally I already told you don't have to."

Then there was silence. I did not know what to say.

*******

(Stevie said)

The silence seemed like forever.

"I am breaking up with you," I finally said. I was silently wishing she would disagree but we both knew she would just let go.

"Okay."

"I will be sending your stuff over to your house later. You will need it once you get back to work."

"Thank you."

"I will go now."

I found myself running--running away from where Ally was. It is too painful. I felt someone just sucked out the life in me. And there were streams flowing.

*******

(Ally said)

That evening, the doctors finally cleared me so to leave the hospital the next day. I just had to come back for regular physical therapy.

"I am so excited to bring you to Pab's as soon as you get out of here," Danny said. "I remember the first time I brought you there. You were mesmerized."

"I am excited too," I answered.

"You do not remember this but you badly wanted to join Pab's for a chance to meet your Fallen Angel. Stevie and I could tell you about it."

"I think it will not happen, Danny"

"What do you mean?"

"Stevie broke up with me."

"What?"

"I know Stevie did not want me to know about our relationship but Mom told me anyway."

"And then Stevie ended it immediately and you did not even try harder. What is happening to you two?"

Before I got the chance to respond, Torey entered.

*******

(Stevie said)

I got back at my place to clear Ally's things. I was amazed on how much stuff she got into my apartment in just a week that we were together before the accident. The bigger ones were her guitar and keyboard. I got a box to collect her smaller clutter--her recording equipment, clothes, shoes, and accessories.

I decided not to return the pizza ring. First of all, she does not remember buying it. Second, it was meant to be given to me anyway. I included in her jewelry box the swing necklace I bought her. She probably wouldn't notice it there but I needed her to have it.

My apartment seems empty without her things and I cannot live in it.