Chapter 1

"I'm not going," I said crossing my arms across my chest. "Plain and simple."

My mother rubbed the nape of her neck and let out a sigh. Her deep blue eyes stared into mine. "I'm sorry, honey. But this is the opportunity of a lifetime. Your father and I have to go."

I fell back dramatically and covered my eyes with my hands. My chocolate brown hair splayed out across the bed. "But what about my license? I'm supposed to get it in two weeks."

She tucked a stray strand of chestnut hair behind her ear before she placed a hand on my arm and gently tugged. "We'll only be gone a month. I promise we can book an appointment for the day we get back."

"Why can't I just stay here? I can watch Liam. He's eleven years old. It's not like he's a baby!"

"Clara, he got his head stuck in between two balusters on the staircase last week," my mom said while trying to suppress a smile.

A giggle escaped my lips, which I quickly covered by slapping my hand over my mouth.

"Watching Liam by yourself for a month would be too much to ask you do," said my mother. "Plus, you haven't been to your grandparent's house since you were five and Liam has never been."

"They barely have electricity!" I said in an exasperated tone.

Standing up, my mother gave me a lopsided smile. "It will be fun. A few weeks to unplug and spend time with family."

"Why can't you send Liam by himself? I'm old enough to stay here alone," I said, giving her my best puppy dog eyes. "P- p- please?"

Placing her hands on her hips, my mother gave me a soft smile, and said, "Clara, it's not up for debate. You're going with your brother to your grandparent's house. Now do you want me to help you pack?"

I flopped over on to my stomach and faced the wall. "Pack? I'll need to go shopping for overalls and a straw hat."

Before I could utter another complaint, Liam burst through the door and pelted me with his smelly socks. He smiled widely, his blue eyes lighting up. "We're going to Grandma and Grandpa's!" he shouted joyfully. "Aren't you excited?"

"Get out," I shouted, throwing the socks back at my little brother, hitting him square between the eyes.

Ignoring my request, he ball up his socks and started juggling. "We're going to help him with the animals and swim in the lake! Seriously, Clar! This is going to be awesome!" He charged out of the room bumping into the door on the way out. "This is going to be great!"

A twinge of jealousy settled in my core. Why can't I be that excited? I asked myself. Shaking my head, I quickly answered my own question, because we're going to the boondocks for an entire month. I'm not going to get my license. I'm not going to celebrate my sixteenth birthday with my friends. My life is essentially over.

***

An uncomfortable feeling washed over me as I tossed and turned. Ugh, I should have been asleep hours ago, I thought as I rolled over to check the time on my phone.

A shrill scream escaped my lips as my eyes landed on Liam standing over my bed with a pillow held securely between two hands.

Liam's eyes flashed and a frightening shade of silver momentarily took over his blue irises.

"MOMMMMMM!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "MOMMMM HELLLLP ME!!!"

My little bother blinked hard and shook his head. Lowering the pillow, he looked around my room with a confused expression plastered to his face.