“American Government” I replied, looking at my schedule.

“Ah, I would walk you there but my class is all the way on the other side of the school. See you later Autumn!” He said smiling, and began walking out the lunch doors.

“Two more classes to go, and you get to go home,” I kept reminding myself on my way to my American Government class. 

Finally, my first day of being the new kid was over.  As soon as the bell rang, I was out.  As I walked up to my car, and started to pull my keys out of my shoulder bag, I heard a laugh coming from behind me.  I turned my head to see who it was.  There he was, Mr. Handsome, walking with a couple of his friends, with each step, inching their way closer to me.  While I got into my 2002 red Jetta, Mr. Handsome walked to the black 1968 Shelby Mustang Gt in front of me. After turning on the car, my hand on the gear stick, ready to switch it to reverse, I quickly glanced up to get one last look at Mr. Handsome, at the same time, He looked up and we both smiled. I put my car into reverse and headed towards the exit. 

As I got onto the main roads I noticed he was right behind me, his dark blue eyes concentrating on the road, and his shaggy brown hair all over the place since his windows were open.

The whole drive home he was behind me, he even lives in the same neighborhood as me, just two houses down on the left from mine. Every once in a while I would glance in my rearview mirror to see him aggravatingly speak to someone on his cell phone, or drumming to the beat of a song on his steering wheel.

When I pulled into my driveway, I thought he was going to pull in too, since he followed me the whole entire way, except he continued to go straight to his home. I began to laugh at myself for even thinking he was following me.

When I got inside the house, I looked at the small table in the foyer and found a note which read:

Dad is going to be working late tonight, and so will I. There is leftover pizza in the fridge from last night if you like, or if you want, go get yourself something to eat.  So sorry we can’t be home for dinner..

Love,

   Mom.

This really wasn’t a surprise to me, considering they always worked late.  I didn’t mind, I kind of liked staying home all alone in the peace and quiet.  It was a lot better than having both parents home and arguing, which was what happened almost every time you put the two together.

“It’s time for a nap,” I told myself as I began walking up the stairs, yawning. 

I woke up an hour later feeling more tired than I actually was before I fell asleep. I walked downstairs to the kitchen, opened the fridge, and just like Mom said, was left over pizza and a bottle of orange juice.  I closed the fridge and started walking to the foyer, grabbed my car keys, and walked out the door.  

The first thing I heard when I walked out of the house was a ball bouncing, I looked to where the sound was coming from, and there he was, playing basketball on his driveway with his little brother who looked about seven or eight. 

I got in my car, and began thinking of some places I could go to eat.  On my way to and from school, I saw a McDonalds connected to a QuickTrip, so I figured I’d just go there. After what felt like a million wrong turns, I finally pulled into the McDonalds/QuickTrip parking lot.  As I got out of my car, I noticed a black Mustang that looked exactly like Mr. Handsome’s.  I just ignored it, thinking that maybe someone else might just happen to have the same car.. Right?! Wrong! 

When I opened the door, there he was waiting in line. I walked up behind them, trying my best to pretend like I had no idea who he was.  When the line would move up, and we would get closer to the register, I would get a whip of his cologne every time he moved.  He had the same cologne I had gotten my brother as a birthday present, Ralph Lauren Polo, the orange kind. “Good choice.” I said to myself. 

As soon as he walked up to the register, the girl taking his order was ostensibly flirting way too much with him, but surprisingly he didn’t flirt back. He paid, and moved over to the left of the counter to wait on his food. 

My turn came, I ordered and then did the same thing Mr. H did.  Our food came out at the same time.  I quickly grabbed my bag and started walking out when I heard,

“Hey! Wait!”

I turned around to see who it was.. Guess who?

“Hey,” Mr. H said, flashing his pearly whites.

“Hi,” I replied, shyly smiling back.

“You’re the girl who ran into Gabe’s locker right?” He said, smiling wider.

I laughed, “Is that what people know me as now?”

“Just for today,” we both laughed. “I’m Luke.”

“Autumn.”

“So you just moved here right?”

“Yeah… that’s a really nice car,” I said, quickly changing the subject as we approached his car. 

Not seeming to notice the quick conversation change, “Thanks!”

“I’ve always wanted one exactly like that.” 

He smiled, “Well maybe one day I’ll let you drive it, as long as you promise to not run it into any lockers.”

I couldn’t help but laugh, “Promise.”

We both laughed for a couple seconds then he said, “Well it was nice meeting you Autumn, but I got to go bring this food to my brother, I’ll see you around!”

“See you.” I said, smiling. 

When I got back home, I ate my food and then checked the answering machine, which was flashing and letting me know that someone had left a message. I pressed the play button and heard:

AUTUMN! We miss you so so so so much! Call me as soon as you get this message! Love you!

Same old Ruby, I thought to myself.  Surprisingly enough though, I didn’t feel like talking to her.  Ruby and I had a lot of drama going on a couple weeks before I moved, she was more upset than I was about everything.  Truth is, I love Ruby, but sometimes she’s way too much to handle. Before I moved, I had a lot going on, maybe this move can be like the start of a new life.  

                 New school, new friends, new places. No drama...