Ch 73: Blank Space

Start from the beginning

"Fine.  You're such a hero."  Henry spits out.  "What about Sang?  You kidnapped her!"

I shake my head embarrassed and ashamed at what I did.  "I know,"  I say quietly, "but I was going to take her home, bring her back."

"Bullshit!"  Henry yells.

"It's true!  Sang asked me to and I'd do anything for her, even let her go."

"You're all kinds of fucked up, you know that?  I don't believe a word your saying right now little boy."

"You don't believe me?  You think I'm a liar?"  I ask Henry and he just smirks.  "Well I should tell you that sometimes what we see in others is actually what we see in ourselves."

Henry's jaw tenses and I notices Owen lift one of his eyebrows in curiosity.  I actually think he's impressed.

"What did you say to me, boy?"  Henry says through gritted teeth.

"You heard me, you're the liar, not me.  I never once lied to Sang.  And as for you,"  I nod my head towards Owen, "I suggest you grovel at your feet if you want Sang on your team.  She'll be the best recruit the Academy has ever had."

Owen stays silent, but I see the slightest incline of his head.  The tiniest nod that affirms he's hearing what I'm saying and he agrees.  Henry on the other hand scoffs, "Of course my daughter will be the best at the Academy, but she is not joining his team!"  He gives Owen a glare.

We don't get to discuss anything further because someone bursts through the door.  It's Detective Reynolds in plain clothes.  She must have been called out of her undercover job once news got out about Marie being alive.

"Out!!  This is my witness now, you two need to leave!"  She orders as she holds up her badge and points to the door.

She turns towards me and I shake my head at her.  I despise this woman.  She's a horrible detective and easily manipulated.  I'm shocked she got her undercover job, bad choice by the FEDs considering how long she's been working the case.

"Why are you shaking your head at me Cody?"  She asks.

"Over five years undercover and you still haven't caught the bad guys?  And with the Sorenson case allowing my dad to manipulate you into ruling the case as an accident?  You're a great detective Miss Julia Reynolds."  I tell her sarcastically, "I think I want Owen and Henry back in here interrogating me instead of you.  Owen can even bring that stick he always seems to carry around up his ass."

She turns red, she's angry and flustered.  "Your father ordered me to close that case!"

"And you did it!  With no thought, without a care in the world that the girl might still be out there.  What if it wasn't us who had taken her?  What if it was someone bad?"

She at least has the decency to look ashamed at what she did.  She's staring at the ground, not saying a word.

"I suppose you're here to extract information from me that can help your case.  Getting tired of slumming it on the wrong side of the tracks Miss Reynolds."

"It's Detective."  She corrects, but I don't care.

"You're no detective."

"They're telling me you did this because the cancer drug killed your mother.  Tell me what you know. You want revenge? You want justice for your mother? Tell me what you know about the person who made this device."

"He's dead."

"Did you kill him? Were you the hit and run?"  She asks, taking the seat across from me.

"No."  I tell her firmly.

"So you and your father didn't kill them?"  She asks me and I just stay silent.  After a few seconds she continues the questioning, "Do you know who hit them?"

"You work for them."  I tell her, giving a small piece of the puzzle.

"The cartel?"

"Look, I don't know who the big players are, but Mr. Sorenson invented the device, we went after him and eventually he ran.  The cartel got wind of his leaving and they thought he was going to rat. They hit his car."

"But they didn't go over."  She points out the obvious.

"Why do you make stupid statements, detective?"

She tries to sit up straighter in her seat, "They aren't stupid."  She says defensively.

I give a small laugh, "It is stupid when you've seen with your own eyes Marie is still alive.  If the car went over she would have been dead upon impact."

"So you got her out."

"Nice detective work, I did get her out like I said before."  I tell her as my eyes drift over to the empty corner of the room.  I don't want to tell her; that day was the beginning of the end for me-- for my sanity.  I don't know if I'll ever get back to normal.

"How did the car go over?"  She asks me and I tell her...