How to write a fairytale

Start from the beginning

With her Lana Fairbridge as her lady in wait.

But Lana was angry with her good friend’s glee,

She wanted to be better and more powerful than she.

An evil plan grew in her wicked mind,

While poor Princess Amalie thought her friend was divine.

She welcomed her gratefully into her castle room,

While Lana prayed her time would come soon.

For Lana thought she was smarter and prettier than she,

While all of the skill lies with Amalie.

And so there stands her lady in wait,

Smiling in delight that her ‘friend’ took the bait.

            “What is this? You made me the evil jealous one in your story? You even used my full name! I thought we were friends!” screamed Lana in anger.

            “No! I would never write that! I told you it wasn't there last night, I didn't write it, I swear! You’re my best friend!”

            “Yeah, I thought you were my best friend too!” Lana cried before storming out of the house. Amalie heard the door slam shut before she collapsed on the ground, tears streaming down her face. She just lay there letting the sadness she felt hold her down, even though she wished for her friend, she couldn't help but wonder what the story meant and if it was true.

Amalie didn’t sleep that night. She awoke with a start just past midnight to see the old book glowing on the floor. She knelt next to it and opened it to her story only to see the book writing itself. Petrified at what she read she heaved the book into her bag and ran to her mother’s room, slamming the door open and awakening her sleeping mother.

            “What is this book?” she yelled as she threw it at her mum.

            “Calm, sweet Amalie,” she whispered and pulled her daughter onto her bed next to her. “It is the book of fairy tales.”

            “I already knew that! It has been writing things though, about my life, only different!”

            “But that is what fairy tale is. This book has been in our family since the dawn of the first fairy tale. No one can write a fairy tale, they can only live it. This book records the tale the way it wants to. Snow White’s seven dwarfs were actually her uncles, all doctors too. This book makes real life stories into timeless fairy tales. This book is magical, it feeds on stories.”

            “But… that’s impossible! It says people’s thoughts, thoughts that are not mine!”

            “Have you ever wondered how every fairy tale has a happy ending? It is not so they are appropriate for kids. The book is far from evil. It helps the owner through the story, guides them to safety. Listen to it; it is trying to save your life because there is nothing fun about the wicked witch killing the princess in her sleep. That’s boring.”

            “Well, what do you think the story means?”

            “Let me have a look.” Her mother sighed as she opened the book once again to those blank pages. The new section of the story glistened with fresh ink however it was slowly fading into the pages making it look as old as the rest of the book.