Untitled Part 1

Meaning Of Somnath

Somnath means "Lord of the Soma", (Moon) an nickname of Lord Shiva. "Som" means Moon and "Nath" mean Lord. There are two Somnath temples. One is known as New Somnath Temple and another is known as Old Somnath Temple. The new one was built by The Lion of Gujarat Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.

Somnath Hotels

History Of Somnath Temple

The Grand Somnath temple was attacked by Muslims numerous times. Somnath was first attacked by Junamad in 722. He looted infinite items from the wealth of Somnath Temple. In 1025 AD Friday 11th of May Mohammed Ghajni shattered Somnath Temple. After that Mohammed Ghajni was known as Statute Destroyer. If we calculate the amount of looting it comes to 18 crore of present value.

Somnath To Dwarka Car Booking

After this era in 1297 AD, Sardar Altaf Khan has attacked on Somnath. Sardar Altaf Khan was Allauddin Kkhiji's chief commander. Sardar Altaf was send by Allauddin to destroying and putting down the Somnath Temple.

After that a series of attack start by various Muslim emperor like Mohammad Begada, Mujaffar Shah, II, Aurangzeb.

In 1783 AD Sadhvi Alalya Devi built a new temple for Somnath . After India became Independent Sardar Vallabhai Patel renovated the Somanath Temple on the advice of Kakashaheb of Maharashtra.

Somnath To Diu Car Booking

Great Place To Visit : Somnath

Somnath Temple is great place to visit. There are many places nearby to visit beside Somnath Temple. Below is a list of places to visit nearby Somnath.

1. Old Somnath Temple

2. Triveni Sangam

3. Sharda Math

4. Aadi Shankrachrya Cave

5. Jagat Guru SanShankracharya Gadi

6.Surya Mandir

7.Hinglaj Mata Ki Gufa

8.Geeta Mandir

9.Baldev Ji Cave

10. Laxmi Narayan Temple.

11.Lord Krishna Charan Paduka

12.Bhid Bhanjan Mahadev

13. Ban Gangeswar

14.Bhalka Tirth

These are some of the important places to visit near Somnath Temple. You will be charged 700 INR by auto and 1500 Rs by Car to do all this places sight-seeing.

Somnath To Sasan Gir Car Booking

Some Other Places At Little Distance

Sasan Gir :

Sasan Gir is 45 KM away from Somnath Temple. Gir Forest is National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary near Somnath Temple. Gir forest is the only home of the Asiatic lion. There are two type of shows one is Gir Jungle trial and another is Devaliya Park. Online booking of shows are available.

Diu :

Diu is a great tourist place with best hotels and food taste. Beaches and Diu Fort are main attraction. Some of the places you can catch in Diu are Gangeshwar Temple, Diu Fort, Ghogla Beach, Shell Museum, Naida Caves, St. Paul's Church, I.N.S.Khukery, Nagoa Beach, Jallandhar Beach, Chakratirth Beach, Fortim-do-MarHokka Trees, Chapel of Our Lady of Rosary, Zampa Gateway, Diu Museum.

How To Reach Somnath

Book Hotel In Somnath

If you are planning a holy tour to Somnath you can change it to your vacation trip definitely. By visiting places like Gir Forest and Diu you can add adventure to your holy trip. There are lots of travels operator and hotels with best service.

How To Reach Somnath :

Many Buses are available from Ahmedabada

Trains are also available from Ahmedabad

Nearest Airport : Diu and Porbandar

Nearest Railway Station : Somnath Railway Station