Chapter 1: Welcoming Silence

“You will be very happy here, I promise.” Mr. Chaplin informed me as we drove up to the new institution, Black Diamond. Recently, Mr. Chaplin and the other doctors had begun to worry for my mental health, and thus resulted in me being transferred out of Spring Valleys.

           “Maybe you’ll make some new friends here,” he continued on happily. Glancing back at me in the rear view mirror he smiled his same sad smile. His pale babyish face looked happy if you didn’t know him, but if you did you could see the sad look in his hazel eyes. Deep pain and loss were hidden deeply inside his very soul.

             Nodding slightly in response I looked out the window and watched as we slowly approached the large two-story institution. The building was surrounded with beautiful cheery blossom trees and a vast number of brightly colored flowers that gave the dark black building life.

            “Do you like it here?” William asked from the depths of my consciousness. He was selfish and possessive, but he was a part of me, he was like my ruby eyes, short messy black hair, my frail feminine like body, rounded soft face, and he was like my pale skin only more permanent.

            I simply nodded in response.

            “Come on talk to me, Luke. No one else can hear you if you speak through your thoughts.” His silky voice caressed my mind.

            I looked up at Mr. Chaplin and saw him looking forward completely concentrated on pulling into the circular driveway correctly. Once the car was parked in front of the pathway to the front door of my new institution, Mr. Chaplin got out and came around to open the car door for me.

            “Fine ignore me, you have to respond sometime.” William told me like a pouting child.

            Taking my hand and leading me up four stairs and across to the door, Mr. Chaplin takes one last look and me before saying, “Have fun here son, and don’t forget we all want you to get better.” And as I nod in response he rings the doorbell and a tall think man with red hair and green eyes opens the door.

            “Good morning Mr. Chaplin, we can take it from here.” He says in a soft voice and a warm smile motioning to me.

            “Very well,” Mr. Chaplin says handing me over to the guy. As he turns to walk away I nod my head in thanks and he smiles his broad smile.

            “Come in then,” the red head says to me moving to allow me into the vast interior of the building.

            Nodding I walked in and looked around, the walls were white, the floor was white, the window frames were white, and the ceiling was… wait for it… white!

            “So, hello Luke. My name is Samuel, and I’m here to answer any questions you might have.”

            Shaking my head no I looked at what he was wearing to figure out what exactly he did. He wore jeans, tennis shoes, and a plain t-shirt. Perhaps he is only a volunteer.

            “Well if you have no questions follow me to your room,” he said as he began to walk towards a flight of stairs. Following intently I soon found the second floor just as bland as the first, but at least it seemed safer up here.

            “Here we are,” Samuel said unlocking a room numbered 194 and handing me a small metal key. “You’re roommate will be back shortly I believe he just went to have a quick walk around the garden.” He continued on smiling.