Chapter Two - Reflecting

Ash sighed as he stared up at the stars in the night sky. It was 1 or 2am, and he couldn't sleep. Pikachu was slumped against him, half-asleep.

'You can go back to bed, buddy,' Ash murmured, but Pikachu shook his head furiously.

Ash chuckled and resumed his star-gazing. He was thinking about his journeys, wondering which region he should travel to next. There was so much unexplored land, new Pokémon and new people to meet. Not to mention all the battles to be had.
Ash stretched his arms up and was about to stand up and go, when he heard footsteps on the grass behind him.

Whipping his head around, he saw it was-

'Serena!' He said, slightly surprised.

Serena stopped in her tracks, blushed and  tucked her hair behind her ear.

'H-Hi, Ash....' She said, love struck.

'Couldn't sleep either, huh?' Ash grinned.

'Uh?! Y-Yeah....heh....'

The truth was Ash had awoken her and she'd been lying there all this time plucking up the courage to go out and join him.

'M-Mind if I s-sit?' Serena stuttered, gesturing the patch of grass beside him.

'Sure!' He patted the grass companionably.

Serena beamed and sat beside him, tucking her legs under her chin, her cheeks reddening.

They sat there a few moments in silence, with nothing but the sound of trickling water and Pikachu's occasional snores.

'There's so many up there....' Ash said, looking at the night sky.

'Hm?' Serena looked at him questionably.

Ash grinned at her. 'Stars.' He looked back up, Serena's gaze following his.

Ash reached his arms up, as if he was trying to embrace the night sky. 'I love it out here.....I feel....free...'

Serena smiled, looking back at him.

'You truly are an amazing person, Ash.....' Serena murmured, without realising.

'Hm?' He looked back at her.

'Eheheh n-nothing!!' She stuttered quickly, looking at the grass as her cheeks turned the colour of a tomato.

Ash smiled softly and looked at the river in front of him. Serena glanced at him, remembering earlier.

'Should I ask him about this 'Dawn'?' She thought, biting her lip. 'Oh, do it, Serena! This is the big reason you came out here, other then to be with him!!'

'A-Ash?' Serena said suddenly, before she could stop herself.

'Yeah, Serena?' Ash looked into her eyes.

'U-Uh...well.....do you....?'
'Yyyes?'
Serena took a deep breath. 'DoyouknowsomeonecalledDawn?' She said in a rush.

Ash blinked at her, his content expression changing. He appeared sadder, looking down at the grass.

'Y-Yeah....when I was in Sinnoh, I traveled with this g-girl named.....Dawn....'

'He TRAVELED with another GIRL??' Serena's head shrieked.

'We were really great friends....I met her again in Unova, I haven't seen her since....'

'Oh.....' Serena said. 'I'm....sorry to h-hear that, Ash...'

'It's alright,' Ash said, looking over the distance. 'I just hope I can meet her again.'

Serena nodded, looking away.

Ash yawned and stood up, lifting Pikachu into his arms in the process.

'Well, I'm going back to bed. You coming, Serena?'

'Yeah, I'll catch up with you.' She smiled.

Ash nodded. 'Kay. Night!' He walked back to the tent.

'Goodnight, my Ash....' Serena murmured, watching him retreating.