Hypocrite

After a few minutes, Ben comes back... Dude-less.

"Umm...where's Dude?"

"Oh, I left him in there with Carlos."

"C-Carlos?"

"Yeah, he's one of the transfers from the Isle."

"I know who he is. Why would you do that?"

"Wha-"

"Do you know what his mother did--well wanted to do--with Perdita's puppies? And you just think it's okay to leave him alone, in the forest nonetheless, with Dude?!"

"Hey, hey," Ben puts his hands on my shoulders, "calm down. He's nothing like her-"

I notice Carlos coming out of the of the forest, "Yeah right." I say as I run towards him.

As I get closer, he notices me and gives me a little smirk, "Wipe the smile of your smug little face and keep your hands off my dog." I snatch Dude out of Carlos' hands and attach his leash to his collar and carry him to the other end of the field. Once out the gate, I put him down and head to the dorms to talk to Evie.

When I get there, I knock. She answers quickly and invites me in. Once in and the door is closed, I take Dude's leash off again.

"Hey! What's up? You haven't met Mal yet have you?" she asks, motioning to Mal, who laying on one of the beds.

I shake my head and put on a fake smile, "I've seen her around, but we haven't met formally." I walk up to her, and she gets off the bed to greet me.

"Mal," she says, shaking my hand, "Maleficent's daughter."

"Maleficent, wow. She's like, the most evil of them all."

"Yeahhh...And that doesn't bother you?"

"Well, no. You're not her. I'm not going to be scared of you because of what she's done. And I saw what you did with Jane and Lonnie's hair; you seem like a decent person."

She looks at me raising her eyebrows, surprised, "Huh."

"She's great isn't she?" Evie says.

"Yeah. Why can't everyone else be like you? It seems like they're all scared of us."

I give a little laugh, "I guess I'm just a little more easy-going than most. I don't understand why people are so quick to judge." Right after I say that, I think back to just a few minutes ago when I blew up on Ben about Carlos.

"You okay?" Mal asks.

"Um, yeah. I'm fine. It was nice meeting you, Mal. See you guys tomorrow. I-I have to go" And with that, I put Dude's leash back on and head out.

"I wonder what that was all about," I hear Evie say through the door, "she's usually not like that."

I continue walking, head down. Not much later I hit shoulders with someone.

"Sorry." they say. I look up to see none other than Carlos. Just my luck.

 I say nothing and continue walking down the hall. I make it halfway down the stairs before sitting down, putting my head in my hands and just sit there for a while. The clock tower chimes, saying that it's 5 o'clock. 

"He was running away."

I jump and look beside me. Ben is sitting there.

"Excuse me?"

He chuckles, "Carlos. He was running away from Dude."

I look at him confused, "Away?"

"Yeah. Carlos had never actually met a dog. He said that Cruella told him dogs were rabid pack animals that attack kids."

I laugh, "Seriously?"

"Yeah."

"Dude wouldn't hurt a fly."

"I know. But Carlos obviously didn't."

My smile fades and I look down at my feet. "He probably thinks I'm a terrible person, doesn't he?"

Ben puts an arm around my shoulders, "Nah, I think he was just really confused."

"This probably sounds weird, but since I should probably apologize to him, would you mind coming with me? I could use the moral support."

"Not weird at all; I would love to."

I smile again and give him a hug, "Thanks." There's a short pause and then I speak up, "By the way, what are you doing over here? Isn't your dorm on the other side of campus?"

"Yeah. I just came over to check on the Four and make sure their first day was good..."

"Aka check on Mal." I joke.

He just looks at me.

"You can't deny it. I saw how you looked at her yesterday when they came. And I know - because you've told me - that you want out of your's and Audrey's relationship."

"Yeah...but what do I do? I can't break up with her, she'd be devastated."

"I doubt it. Like, yeah, she'll be upset once it happens, but I honestly think she'll bounce back pretty quickly. But I'd say to just let it happen on it's own. If you're not meant to be, things will just fall into place for you to split."

He nods, pondering what I said, "Mhmm, okay. Well, I'll see you tomorrow, I guess."

We hug again and head our separate ways to our dorms.