The Ball

I clench my fists and head to my room. I had just spent six hours in the Women's Room.

Six.

Adrian was still with that stupid Victoria girl. For SIX hours.

I push open my door angrily, my heels dangling from my fingertips. Sarah, Alice, and Grace look up, startled.

Grace opens her mouth to speak, but I cut her off.

"The ball is tonight, right?"

They nod quickly and assuredly.

"Girls, make me beautiful."

oOo

Well, they sure did their job.

I stare at myself in complete and total awe. I have never seen myself like this.

My dress looked like it was spun of liquid gold, bringing out the gold flecks in my green eyes. It fell to the floor, and had a halter neckline. It hugged and accentuated my curves, and my chest looked fuller. My heels were gold as well, barely visible under my long dress, but they were strappy and gorgeous. I wore dangly earrings, and my nails had gold glitter painted on them. I wore my long hair in a braided updo, with curled tendrils framing my face. My makeup made my lips pink, my cheeks warm, and eyelids glittery gold.

I looked...unlike myself. Beautiful. I wish Juliet and Mom and, well, even Harlow could see me.

I bite my lip. My stomach pangs with guilt when I remember I haven't yet written them a letter. I promise myself I'll write them after the ball.

"Thank you guys. Really. I can't believe it." I'm in awe.

"It's still you." Sarah says sweetly. "The ball is in the...well, the ballroom. It's on the first floor. Take two rights from the Women's Room."

I nod slowly, grinning. "Thank you again. Bye!" I leave the room, already beaming. I knock on Rowan and Sage's door. Rowan comes out in a pale pink, floor-length dress. Her curls fell to her chin, with diamond bobby pins, and diamond stud earrings.

Sage...doesn't come out.

We knock at least six times, call out her name. Rowan even tentatively opened the door, peeking in. "She's not here." She whispers to me. I bite my lip.

"Where is she?" I ask worriedly.

Rowan shrugs. "She's probably just playing a prank on us." But I can see in Rowan's eyes that she's worried.

"Let's go downstairs, then." I say slowly, tugging Rowan by her elbow. She nods, her gaze lingering on Sage's door. We descend the stairs, giggling all the way.

"Left or right?" Rowan questions in the stairwell, confused. I think of what Sarah said.

"Um, two rights." I tell her.

Rowan suddenly claps a hand to her mouth. "Elliot!" She says in a hushed whisper, about to burst into laughter. "Listen!"

I stop talking and listen intently, only to hear the sounds of two people...well, sucking face.

I make a face. "Row, that's gross."

She ignores me and tugs my wrist. "Come on, let's see who it is."

I protest weakly, but she has a death grip on my wrist. We turn the corner slowly, and my heart is pounding. What if it's Adrian and Victoria? I wouldn't be able to handle that.

The first thing I see is a girl pressed against the wall, and a boy pressed against her. He has ruffled auburn hair, and there's a chunky crown laying discarded on the ground. She's got tan skin, and is wearing a tight sapphire blue dress that the boy is running his hands all over. Her hands are inside his fancy jacket.