My Dead Lover

this was gonna be a teaser, but then i discovered i suck @ writing those. ;D

_____+_+_+_+_________+_+_+_+________+_+_+_+_________+_+_+_+_______+_+_+_+________

   I watched as my fiancée of the past year and my best friend of a lifetime slipped into the vast midnight blue ocean. Swaddled in silks, eternally enclosed in comfort for the rest of his time. He was dead. 

   Garrett wasn't sick, he wasn't diseased, had no injury to speak of. Excluding the two medium-sized puncture wounds on his neck. Oh, how I hated the vampires. For everything they did to me. They took my mother while I lay, mere feet away, in the crib beside her bed. I was eighteen months old, and still had cringed away from the smell of fear and death exuding from their very pores. So they tell me.

   Then, when I was eleven, my uncle was on a vampire raid to ensure none were on his property. In an abandoned warehouse near the coast. I had been allowed to come this time, as I had begged the men time and time again, and on the other trips, nothing had gone wrong. 

   I waltzed into the shadows, daring danger to come our way, and sure enough, it did. I cowered behind a pole, bravado gone, as the vampire closest to me looked around. His eyes met mine, and he dug his fangs into my uncle with gusto, his eyes never leaving my terrified ones. 

   Giving me a clear message; come closer and you die. Garrett knew that. He knew about everything that had happened to me. Ever. One way or another. He always found out, no matter how small or how big the thing was. If it upset me, he knew.

   When this jerk of a boy wouldn't take the hint and leave me alone when I was fourteen, and pushed me into the pond, he knew. I went up to my room, humiliated, wet, and upset. Minutes later I heard a knock on the door: Garrett. But I didn't want anyone to see me like this. I shouted, "Go away!" but heard no retreating footsteps. Miserable, I cocooned myself in my blankets. Soon, I felt a light hand on my back. I ignored it. Suddenly, the covers were ripped off of my body. I screamed, covering my face with the sheets, lying facedown. Garrett crawled in with me, and whispered comforting words. A week later we exacted our revenge.

   When my now widowed aunt took her own life, five years after her husband--my uncle--died by the hand of a vampire, he knew. He went with me to the funeral.

   So I couldn't help but love him. I was always bold, and one day I cornered him and confronted him about my feelings. Well, maybe that's not exactly what happened....

+++++begin flashback++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   Seventeen year old me was waiting for Garrett to show his lazy ass at our favorite hangout. When he finally sauntered up, looking vaguely amused, but also kinda freaked out, I ran over to him and jumped, clinging to his torso with my arms and legs like the monkeys I had read about.

   "Where's the fire, Li?" He'd said, bemused. My full name is Evangeline, and no-one but him calls me that. I smiled brightly and leaned up to whisper in his ear. 

   "I love you," I said softly. Then I yanked back and pulled myself off of him, clapping a hand to my mouth. He laughed, my hopes were dashed, and stupidly I turned to go. 

   "Wait, Li!" He called. "Don't go!" 'Don't go'...something he said to me quite often. I turned.

   "Yes?" I said sadly. Waiting for yet another rejection.

   Garrett came up to me, lifting a finger to tilt my head up towards him. "I love you, as well." He murmured. Then his lips came crashing down onto mine.

+++++end flashback++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   That was six years ago, and we are--were, in his case--twenty-three years of age.

This will, hopefully, be the last time a vampire ever hurts someone I love. Because I'm coming for revenge.

   "Evangeline? Are you all right, m'dear?" My uncle on my father's side asks me. He's so fake; he couldn't care less. I completely understand why my father chose to run away with my mother. I pasted on a fake smile.

   "Just reminiscing, dear uncle." For I will get my revenge. My smile turned sour. "Just reminiscing."

*_*_*_*_*______________*_*_*_*_*________________*_*_*_*_*__________________________