Chapter 1- Meetings

Sophies POV:

Do I honestly need to tell you how this happened? I mean, I honestly think it's pretty obvious. Mum died a few years back, oh so tragic car accident that ruined my life as I know it, I hope you understand that I'm not about to elaborate on my mums death. Dad meet some new woman named Jessica, which I think is a completely boring name and plan on making fun of her for later on.

The summer consisted of me staying in my room and wanting nothing to do with the human race- at all. I'd spend hours in my room doing nothing but drawing- a skill I inherited from my mum. She was beautiful, soft blonde hair that framed her face in layers and dark brown eyes that seemed deeper than the neighbors pool. Anyways, sleep and pizza became my two best friends along with blasting music louder than I thought was possible and because of this, I didn't know about Jessica. I mean, I knew she came over on a regular basis...and I knew she'd sleep over sometimes, I guess I just didn't put two and two together very well- I've never been good at math anyways. 

So when my dad ended up telling me that he and Jessica- who was nice enough I guess- were getting married, you've got to understand how infuriated I was at the fact that after only 2 years he was trying to replace my mum. After only knowing this woman for 6 months.

****

"Yeah, I'm waiting for them to pull up to the house right now" I muttered into the phone, obviously annoyed

My best friend Ryans tired voice replied "Yeah? You said she has a son right?"

I nodded before I realized he couldnt see me and I cleared my throat "Um, yeah. A little older than me. Apparently he's been to the house but-"

"Your big teenage depression phase, right" Ryan cut me off and laughed 

I chewed on my lower lip "Yeah, seriously, if he turns out to be an asshole, I'm not tolerating it. I think I have to share a room with him too- I'm just sort of wondering if my dad has lost his mind"

I could almost hear him frowning through the phone "Yeah," his body weight shifted "I mean, that is kind of invasive if you think about it...sounds rough"

I scoffed "Yep. I'm not calling her my mum"

"Oh, we got a bad ass over here"

I laughed "I'd hit you right now if I could"

"Want me to come over?" he offered

"Yeah. I could use the moral support, you sure your mum'll let you out?" I asked

"Yeah, it's not like she'd be that mad. We haven't talked all summer- what, did you get a new best friend?" he laughed and then added in quietly "You, making new friends, as if" 

"Asshole" I mocked anger "But yeah, my best friend was my duvet" 

"Right" he agreed "Well, lemme get dressed and I'll be over in a few" 

I pushed one a strand of my honey blonde out of my face and tied it into a messy bun at the top of my head. I was wearing sweatpants and a tank, I hadn't even put on makeup. It was sort of my low key rebellion- if I had to meet these people, I wasn't going to be nice about it. 

I stumbled downstairs and into the kitchen, my Dad looked up and smiled "Sophie, morning" 

I hadn't talked to him in weeks, I wasn't sure why he thought today was different. I glided past him and grabbed some toast and made my way out front to wait for Ryan to show up. 

My dad sighed "Soph, you've got to talk to me some time..."

I wanted to say "wanna bet?", but of course, that'd be talking to him.