Chapter 5

*Kat's POV*

I looked at the hearts in confusion. What did they mean? They were only next to three of my classes, but there wasn't a pattern. Maybe they were classes he liked? That didn't make sense either. He had put a heart by my AP calculus class, and I don't think anyone likes AP calc. I don't even like AP calc. But it was too late to properly ask, Jason was long gone out of class.

"Are you serious?" I heard Felix pipe up beside me. "You really can't tell?"

"Can't tell what?" I said, so confused I could feel a headache coming on. Felix just laughed heartily before getting out of his seat and walking away.

"I'll see you in third period." He said with a wave over his shoulder. I was left, alone and confused, to simmer in my thoughts in an empty classroom.

***

The rest of the day had gone by in a blur. I had enjoyed second period chemistry, and third period French with Felix even more. (I was taking it because I found the language interesting. Felix took it because he already knew fluent French, and wanted an easy class.) After that, I had World History, lunch (also with Felix), and health. Now I was standing in front of my sixth period, AP calc, and I dreaded going inside. I was good at math, I just hated it. With a passion. Huffing in annoyance, I walked inside and took my seat.

We started the lesson, and I doodled on the side of my notes, not really listening to the teacher at all. A few minutes into class, the teacher suddenly stopped teaching, and the class went quiet.

"Glad you could join us, Mr. Ryder." The teachers shrill voice said. I nearly groaned aloud. No frickin way...

"Sorry ma'am, had some trouble finding the class." Jason said easily, strolling in and barely glancing my way before sitting down in the empty seat next to mine. The teacher mumbled a "don't let it happen again." And we went on into the lesson.

I was paying even less attention before, if that was even possible. I tried continuing my small drawings, but found myself ever curious about the boy next to me. I glanced his way. He seemed completely riveted by the lesson, not taking notes really, but jotting down things he thought he needed to know. No way... I thought to myself. Is he actually...enjoying this?

I was shocked. He liked AP calculus? I didn't want to believe it, but here he was, taking full interest in the lesson. Maybe he was pretending to so he could bother me. Yeah, that was probably it. I was pulled out I my thoughts, once again, by the teacher speaking.

"Okay, we have about ten minutes of class left, I expect you to be working on the assignment." She sat down at her desk. I tried to focus on the piece of paper in front of me. It was just a rerun of the Trigonometry basics, I knew this stuff, easy. I began my assignment, refusing to look up.

"Hey." He said next to me. I ignored him. "Hey." He said again, this time poking me. I was extremely ticklish, and I didn't want him knowing that, so before he could poke me again I looked at him. He looked kinda confused, but slithered his hand away from me. "Are you mad at me or something?" He said, and he honestly looked hurt for a second. Guilt flooded me. Why was I being so mean to him? He had only been nice to me since the second we had met. What is wrong with you, Kat, I scolded myself. A sigh escaped my lips.

"No, I'm sorry, I just...don't like math." I said, knowing I technically wasn't lying. He scoffed in response.

"Well yeah, I mean, who does?" He leaned back into his chair, his gaze still meeting mine.

"Really? It seemed like you were pretty into it." I said, trying not to seem...I don't even know what I was trying not to seem.

He rolled his eyes. "Well, I kinda have to pay attention if I wanna pass this class. I can't afford not to. It's AP calc, ya know." He smirked and me, and I smiled back. He wasn't as bad as I initially thought. And then I remembered something.

"Hey, what were those hearts on my schedule for?" I asked, hoping for a direct answer this time. He raised an eyebrow, questioning me, but I guess he saw that I was serious because he shook his head and responded.

"The hearts show which classes we have together, stupid." He laughed out, winking at me. My entire face burned red, but I'm not sure whether it was from not realizing sooner, or from the sappy gesture. Probably both.

The bell rang, and class was dismissed. As I was picking up my things, Jason spoke up.

"Hey, we have the next class together too. Wanna walk together?" He looked a mixture of nervous and hopeful, and I couldn't help but find it adorable. Not that I could see him as anything but a friend, of course, but you know. In general, he was cute.

I thought back to what he had last said. My next class? Oh, it was art, my last (and favorite) class of the day. I nodded my head, and we walked side by side to the classroom.

I sat in my usual seat, and Jason sat next to me. I could feel his eyes on me, and I tried to keep my expression blank and neutral. He kept staring.

"Can I help you with something?" I asked, turning to him. He shook his head, smiling, and kept staring. Giving him an annoyed look, I rolled my eyes and turned back away from him. "Yeah, well, take a picture. It'll last longer." I said snappily.

"Okay." He said.

It took me a moment to process his words, and I turned to him again. "Wait, wha-" I was cut off by the sound of a camera shutter, and Jason looked at his phone in triumph. "I wasn't being serious!" I scolded him. He shrugged.

"You should have been more specific." He said, smugness oozing into his voice. I glared at him, but he turned his attention back to his phone screen. Curiosity got the better of me.

"Lemme see it." I blurted out. He looked at me, grinning, and then flashed the screen to me. I wanted to rip the phone from his fingers when I saw the photo.

I was turning in the photo, hair whipping back, surprise clearly on my features. My eyes were wide and doe-like, and my mouth was parted slightly in shock. My pink cheeks were giving away my embarrassment in the picture, and I couldn't help feeling even more embarrassment now after seeing how stupid I looked.

"Delete it." I said sternly, leaving no room for argument.

"No." He said. Well, I guess there had been a little room for argument.

"I look disgusting. Delete it now." I said again, a pleading look in my eyes. I watched in horror as he simply slid his phone into his pocket.

"You can delete it yourself, if you're willing to get my phone from me." He smirked, and I wanted to smack him. I was not putting my hand in his pocket. He seemed to know that though, because he just laughed. Just as I was about to lunge at him, the teacher walked in.

"Settle down class. Were about to begin." Hmph. I guess I would just have to strangle him for it later.

Art went by in a blur. We did a boring still life. I got done pretty early (mostly because I hate still lives, so I rushed), and I noticed Jason struggling. That boy, bless his heart, couldn't draw to save his life. He couldn't even get the perspective right, let alone the shading. I took pity on him, and decided to help him of a bit. I drew him an outline, and showed him how to shade properly with his pencil. He seemed really happy I was helping, telling me how grateful he was for my assistance. I just shrugged it off, I don't mind helping people. The class came to a close, and the teacher collected our work.

"Nice job, as always, Katrina." She said when she took mine. "And you did well for a first time as well, Jason." She said, seemingly impressed. He grinned ear to ear, and then glanced my way and winked. I chuckled at how much he could act like a little kid sometimes. "Okay, class dismissed." She said with finality.

Everyone began shuffling out of the building. I took a moment to gather my stuff before turning to Jason. "I'll see you later." I said, casting him a small smile. I began walking away, and I heard him speak up.

"Might be sooner than later, actually." He said it under his breath, and I wasn't sure I was supposed to hear it. I ignored it, not letting it bother me, and continued out of the room. I had a shift at the shop to get to, and I didn't want to be late.

A/n: ooooOOOOOH! Idk this chapter is not good at all and kinda boring? Idk hopefully it gets better. Also, as you can tell, I don't know how to write dialogue! :)
Anyways sorry sorry sorry for the shitty chapters so far, hopefully it gets better, I shall try to spice things up. Comment, vote, whatever, I'm gone.