Chapter 10

•Chapter 10•

KARI

The night of the date started out great but then of course he ruined it. We had all decided to meet up at the local bowling alley where Avery was being picked up by her longtime boyfriend Aiden and I would be picked up by josh. By the time it was seven, I had just hung up the phone with Avery who was telling me not to wear my favorite pink shirt because it's just too "childish" and she wanted me to look cute but casual. So in the end I decided on a white cashmere sweater with a jean skirt and white flip flops. My hair was down in waves shimmering under the lights. I knew I looked good I just hoped Josh thought so too. I paced around the front foyer as my mother gushed to me about how "cute" Josh and I looked together. She was in the kitchen preparing herself a martini while flipping through her newest fashion magazine.

"Mom please don't embarrass me." I groaned out loud.

"Why would I ever do that?" she retorted back. I rolled my eyes and shifted from foot to foot nervously. What if he decides he doesn't like me? What if the night goes wrong? What if he stands me up! My mind yelled.

Calm down Kari it's barely six fifty-five...

I nodded to myself and tried to calm my racing heart. Not even a minute later after seven did Josh ring the doorbell. I fixed my hair a bit and composed myself; walking slowly to the door I tried not to let the nervousness show on my face. I opened the door and there stood a gorgeous boy, his hands in his pockets looking utterly adorable.

"Josh..." I breathed. His face broke out in a slow crooked smile. I thought I had melted into putty, curse his gorgeous smile and breathtaking piercing blue eyes. The wind was sifting his hair about and I kept smiling. That is until my mother walked in, her Chanel No. 1 perfume filing the air as she stood beside me.

"Well hello josh, come on in." she said smiling brightly. I stepped aside like an idiot and walked over to his side. He smiled down at me, blushing I looked away quickly.

"Mom I think we should be leaving." I said through gritted teeth, wanting to get out of the room as fast as possible before my mom opened her mouth and said something I wouldn't want him to know.

"Oh nonsense you guys have plenty of time." She said still ignoring my glare.

"No mom really we said we'd meet Avery and Aiden at the bowling alley at seven twenty, and we don't want to keep them waiting." I tugged at Josh's arm and turned him around towards the door. I had opened the door and almost made it home free but my mother yelled out the door.

"Be safe! Use protection!" I cringed at her loudness and my cheeks started heating up. I avoided Josh's amused grin and got into the passenger seat on his Mercedes Benz. Chuckling to himself Josh started the car and drove off. We lapsed into a confortable silence and I watched the crowded streets get darker as we flew past stores and neighborhoods.

"Is it okay if I turned on the radio?" I asked josh. He looked over at me and smiled, showing two dimples.

"Go ahead." He said and turned back to the road. I reached over and pressed a black button the lighted up and showed the FM radio stations. I turned the little dial, numbers raced by as I listened to whatever was playing, finally I settled on a song I hadn't heard in a while. Is it you? By Cassie poured silently through the speakers. I sat back into my seat and closed my eyes, the piano lulling me into relaxation. I listened to the lyrics and realized how true the lyrics were, she was talking about a boy and I wondered if that's how I felt about Josh.

Or Daniel... a small voice whispered. I frowned and just listened to the song.

I'm looking for a lover not a friend