Prologue

Sebastian Beaumont, earl of Essex, looked over his cards to the man he was playing against. Luke Primrose, earl of Sussex, stared at his own cards. He had won a couple of rounds in the beginning, but his luck was running out. He had bet all the money he had and some that he didn't. Sebastian could tell that Luke was getting nervous. He sat back in his chair, feeling calm and confident. He ran a finger down the edge of his mask he wore. No one knew how he damaged the right side of his face. Some say that he was mauled by a bear. Others said that he had some kind of disease that had destroyed half his face.

     Luke finally put down his cards. He had three of a kind. Sebastian looked at his cards for a full minute before he laid them down. He had a flush. He had won the game. Luke stared at the cards in disbelief. He couldn't believe that he lost. How was he ever going to pay Sebastian all the money? He took out a hankerchief and moped his forehead.

     "Well, Primrose," Sebastian said. "Looks like you have lost. Care to try to win it back?"

     Luke shook his head. "I dare not," he said.

     Sebastian pulled the money that was on the table toward him. "I will collect the rest of the money by the end of the week," he said.

     Luke swallowed. "Lord Beaumont," he said. "I-I am afraid that I will not have the money. I bet more than I had."

     "That is a problem," Sebastian said.

     "Is there another way I may pay you back?" Luke asked. "A horse perhaps?"

     "I am not in need of a horse," Sebastian said. "But I may have another idea."

     "What is it, Lord Beaumont?" Luke asked.

     "As you may have heard, I have only been an earl a couple of weeks," Sebastian said. "I have moved into the manor already but my father's will states that I may get the money only after I have wed. I know that you have two daughters, Victoria and Emma."

     'You-you want me to give you one of my daughters' hand in marriage?" Luke said, his eyes wide.

     "Yes," Sebastian said. "I know that Victoria has had her coming out. She is of age to marry."

     "My youngest is already spoken for," Luke said quickly. "She is betrothed to marry Patrick Ramsden. His father is a long time friend of mine."

     "The eldest then," Sebastian said.

     "Emma is two and twenty," Luke said. "Well past the marrying age."

     "It matters not," Sebastian said, waving his hand. "I do not want to take your land. I have no need of it. I need a wife."

     Luke hesitated. He had heard rumors surrounding Sebastian Beaumont. He was very recluse and only came to town once a year. They also said that he was mean tempered. They gave him the nickname "The Beast". But he knew he had no choice.

     "All right," Luke said. "I will give you Emma's hand in marriage."

     "Excellent," Sebastian said. "I will retrieve a special license and I will marry her in two weeks." He walked away.

     Luke stayed in his seat. He had just agreed to let Emma marry "The Beast". He knew his wife was rolling in her grave. She never would have agreed. He looked up at the ceiling of the gambling hall. "Please forgive me, Molly," he said. "For I didn't know what else to do."