Chapter 2

allllllrightty! here goes the second chapter.. which wont be as short as the first.. and wont move as fast. enjoy! oh, and BTW.. the names at the top of each chapter are which character's point of view this chapter is in.

Caleb Brighton

"You're being a baby, Caleb." I spin around to glare at Logan. What a lousy best friend. "I am not being a baby. Sorry if I don't feel like getting drunk at a party and dying." Logan rolls his green eyes. "You're not going to die... I'll have my sister come pick us up or something. Happy?" he says, rolling a small box between his fingers and leaning against his father's desk. I raise an eyebrow at him. "Does Bethany know about this party?" I've heard about Bethany, but I've never met her before. Logan freezes, the little felt case dropping out of his hands. "Uh.." he sighs. "No, she doesn't."

"And why's that?"

Logan glares at me. "Because I didn't tell her. I don't feel like dragging my girlfriend around at a party, okay?" I grit my teeth together. Logan can be such a jerk. Why would he treat Beth like that? Why would he treat anyone like that, his girlfriend of all people? She deserves better. "So... what you're basically doing is going to a party to hook up with someone? Who's not your girlfriend?" I ask, crossing my arms and leaning against the wall. Logan takes a deep, angry breath. "No. I'm not going to a party to hook up with other girls. I love Beth. I thought you knew that. That's why I bought her this."

He scoops the black box up from the ground and holds it out for me to take. I pluck to out of his hand and flip it open.

"Holy.. how much did this cost you, Logan?" I ask and stare at the ring. It's a tiny gold band, with six glittering diamonds lining the edge. Bethany is ingraved on the underside of the ring. "I've been saving up since we started dating," he replies proudly. " A year?" He nods, taking back the ring. "Think she'll like it?"

"Dude, If I was a girl, I'd fall at your feet for that thing." He chuckles, and pushes it into the pocket of his jeans.

"So, are you coming or not?" he asks, tapping the wooden table. I take a deep breath. "Fine.."  He jumps straight in the air, eyes going wide. Before he can say anything, I put my hand up. "I'm not drinking anything, and I'm driving home, okay? No objections or you're walking." Logan smiles and tugs me out the door.

"Deal."

---------------------------------

The streets were crowded with people when pulled into the curb. Music blared so loud, you could hear it blocks away--which we were. There had to be at least six hundred people here which equals at least four hundred cars.

Logan kills the engine and lays his head back. "Well. Looks like we're walking." He sigs and the chestnut hair brushing his forehead lifts. "Looks like it," I mumble, popping the car door open. A burst of chilly air sweeps into the car. I shiver and tug my leather coat tighter around me and step onto the sidewalk.

We arrive at the party about ten minutes later. The building they're holding it in was almost falling apart. It is a three-story abandoned brick mansion with chipped grey paint. The white--now almost black--shutters were literally hanging by strings from the windows. Multicolored lights shine out of the windows and project the silhouettes of dancing bodies on the neighboring buildings and sidewalk. It's kind of eerie, actually.

Logan grasps the arm of my jacket and tugs me inside. We've been standing on the sidewalk for like, five minutes gaping at the house, probably looking like total idiots.

Trying to get through the house and to the bar was even harder than trying to find a parking spot. You couldn't see anything, it was so dark, and everyone was packed together so tightly that people were being pushed out the door when you moved.

We were finally shoved up to the bar. Someone had set up a portable one with white lights and tanks of liquor all around the sides. The bartender, a junior from our school, saunters up to us, looking like he's had his fare share of drinks. "Beer," Logan tells him. He nods and looks at me. I just shake my head and look around the room for someone familiar looking. We've been here for almost an hour already and I haven't seen anyone i know.

"Pretty sweet party, huh?" A high, girly voice echoes behind me. Logan and I spin around. Two girls looking about a year younger than us are standing there, smiling. Logan breaks into a grin, and I want so badly to remind him of Bethany.

One of the girls is staring at me so I smile at her. She has a pale face, with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Pretty. She grabs my hand. "Let's dance." I let her pull me towards a darker corner in the room where not many people stand. We sway for a while and I take a glance at Logan. Him and the other girl stand in the middle of the room, grinding against each other. Her gaze is fixed on his lips, while he is focused on looking down her shirt. I roll my eyes and my girl catches my attention.

"I'm Chloe," she whispers, lips brushing my ear. That's when I realize how very close she really is. "Caleb," I yell over the bass. Her eyes twinkle and before I realize what she's doing, she leans forward and pushes her mouth onto mine. My eyes go wide and I jump back. Chloe looks hurt and confused and I feel strangely guilty. "I, uh, I'm going to go get some air." I say, running my hand through my hair. She tries to say something, but I turn around and push through the crowd, earning some scowls.

I almost fall through the door outiside. Fresh air. I start walking down the street, hands in my pockets. A bunch of people are outside surprisingly, just getting fresh air like me, or smoking a joint, or just hanging around.

I walk as far enough so I can only hear a faint pounding bass. There no people here. My phone vibrates against my leg and  flip it open. It's a text from Logan.

Where r u?

I ignore it and pocket my cell. He actually took time away from his new hook up to see that I was gone. Surprising.

I round a corner into an alley, with doors lining the walls. A bloodcurling scream echoes through the dimly-lit hallway, coming from one of the doors. I jump, almost screaming myself. Edging closer to the first door, I press my ear to the cold metal and listen for any sounds. Nothing.

I try the next door, this one is wood and slightly ajar. There's a faint mumbling sound and some whimpering. I peek through the opening. A girl with long brown hair and a torn black dress is pressed up against the brick wall by a muscular man with blonde hair. She looks like she's in pain. He has one hand around her waist and the other gripping her neck. Her eyes are closed tightly. The man tenses and brings his hand up to her face and grabs her earring, pulling it right through her ear. She screams and I'm just about to jump in and beat the living shit out of this guy when he slaps her face and leans to lick the blood off her neck. I push the door open silently, ready to pounce, when the girl kicks him with enough force to knock him backwards. He stumbles and she takes this as her advantage to get away. Before running to the door, she pulls her arms out in front of her and shoves the man to the ground. He slams against the concrete, a string of curses leaving his mouth. She sprints to the door faster than an olympic runner and passes me without seeing me, heading straight for town.

I swing the door open wide, coming face-to-face with the enemy.