Chapter 3

Attached is a picture of Trinity's horse Pandora.

I race home at a thundering gallop, tears filling my eyes and streaming down my cheeks.
I lean forward and rest my head on Pandora's chestnut mane, my body shaking as I let out a sob.

She steadies her pace and nickers to me softly.
Squeezing my eyes shut I wrap my arms around the old mare's neck.

After a wile I notice we've stopped, I reluctantly lift my head up from Pandora's neck. We were home.
I jump down from the mares back and trudge slowly inside, closing the old wooden front door behind me and leaning against it.

I reach into my pocket and retrieve the crumpled picture, holding it out I front of me studying it carefully.
He's standing with his arms crossed across his chest lightly smiling. His brown hair flops down across his greeny blue eyes, a shade lighter than mine.

He looks like a kind man, maybe he's a friend of my mothers. He might know more about the cause of her death and why the clave were after her.

I fold the paper in half placing it back in my pocket then bound up the stairs to my room.
Once inside I take out a backpack and begin vigorously shoving clothes into it.

I jog into the training room retrieving as many weapons as I can carry, shoving them into my weapons belt. Remembering not to forget my seraph bow and sashes of arrows.

New Your Institute.
My mothers last words.
I have to go there, I have no where else to go. With no one else to go to but that man in the photo.

What if he's not even there? That photo looks as if it was taken years ago.
What do I do upon arrival, what do I say?
I know every shadow hunter has the right to take refuge at any institute but I don't want charity.

I heave a sigh and walk out side back to where pandora stands, waiting patiently. I throw my backpack onto my shoulder and heave my self up onto Pandora's back.
I guess the only way to find out is to go there and see what happens.

I squeeze the old mare into steady gallop and set off in the direction of the institute.