Prologue

Age Eight

"Veneace Sinest," the man running the coronation says. At one point, a coronation was when a princess became a queen. Now it is when about five princesses drink dragon's blood and learn who they really are. I stand up, my legs shaking. 

The picture of the girl before me repeats over and over in my mind. Her grabbing the goblet. She was cute. Little freckles dotted her face. Her hair was brown and frizzy. She smiled a big smile to someone in the audience and took a big gulp. She started to glow and her skin started to change. It stretched and grew fur and I could see her bones changing through the golden glow that surrounded her. It was gruesome, yet beautiful.

The light faded and she stood before everyone as a little chipmunk. The crowd applauded and she ran in small, tight circle. They let out little 'awe's and she transformed back to her cute little self and sat down in a chair next to her family.

I shake my head to bring myself back to the present, take a deep breath, and walk forward. I grab the goblet from the man dressed in all white and face the audience.

I take a sip of the red liquid in the golden cup and the crowd gasps. I instantly feel the change. I don't glow. I just change. I look down at my scales, wings, talons and sharp fangs. Does this mean I'm the same as these monsters? If my spirit animal is a dragon, am I just as dangerous as one?

Not knowing what to do, I snap out my large, colorful wings and fly away. I'm a disgrace to the Sinest family, our kingdom will be hated amongst the globe.

I find a hidden cave and morph back to my human form. I curl up into a ball on the floor and start to cry.

I'm a monster.