9- I Guess It's Not In The Cards?

Start from the beginning

“I can tell them to stay out of the room” He growled.

I pushed to my feet and walked over to him, I dropped down onto the pillows pulling over a rather large one and dropped the deck of cards ontop. Raven stared at me in confusion looking from the cards to my face.

“What?” he sighed finally, after several minutes of him internally debating what the hell I was doing.

“We play a game, You win and I’ll stay in your bedroom. I win, I get to sleep wherever I want” I watched his mouth open and I held my hand up, “Inside the castle” I added watching his mouth close.

He mulled over my deal in his head trying to come up with something better that could be used to persuade me. He watched me and then gave a quiet moan of frustration.

“Fine, What game?” He hissed.

I grinned unwrapping the cards and shuffling them quickly, “The same game that I was playing when you came in, Go fish”

He frowned pouting his bottom lip, “How do you play?”

“I deal out seven cards each, you don’t show me yours I don’t show you mine. I place the remaining cards in the middle all face down, that is the ‘pond’. You then go through your hand and if you have any cards that are similar, as in two sevens, or two queens, you remove them and place them in front of you face up. You want to get as many pairs as you can.” I said as I spread out the remainder of the deck in the middle of the pillow.

“So like this?” He asked placing two sets of pairs down in front of him. I grimaced but nodded my head.

I only had one pair in my hand to start, I set it down and looked back up at him.

“Now, we go back and forth. I ask you if you have a card I want, if you do you hand it over. If you don’t you say ‘Go fish’ and I pick a random card from the pond” I said motioning to the pile of cards in front of us.

He nodded his head scanning over his cards, “Do you start?” He asked looking up at me with determination in his violet eyes.

“No, you do”

“Alright do you have any eights?” he asked watching my face.

I felt as though I had kept a calm and empty face but he seemed to see something else, I pulled the eight from my hand and gave it to him. I watched him take it and place it with his own eight.

“You go again until I say go fish” I sighed.

He sat up a little taller and nodded his head, “Three’s?”

I gritted my teeth stopping the angry growl from rumbling up as I handed him reluctantly my card. He didn’t smirk or smile victoriously at me, he only took the card and set it down in front of him.

“Queens?”

“Go fish” I murmured finally able to let out a breath.

He leaned forward picking up a card and to my great disdain setting down a pair of queens, he leaned back waiting for me to ask.

“Jacks?” I muttered.

He handed me the card and smiled as I took it from him, “Jhebret said you had a nightmare?” He said in a quiet voice that was almost soothing.

But I felt my entire body stiffen with agitation, “Sevens” I snapped.

He sighed, “Go fish” Shaking his head he glanced at his cards.

I reached down lifting up a two from the pond and placing a pair down in front of me. I glared up at him picturing him falling into oncoming traffic.

“Four?”

I grimaced and handed him my only four, he watched me carefully as he reached forward taking it from me.

“You know having nightmares is a normal thing. It happens to everybody” He sighed.

My hands tightened on the cards and I glared at him, he was completely unfazed by the violence in the stare I directed at him. I wish he would drop dead. He’s trying to be nice. My panther purred.

“Shut up” I hissed aloud.

Raven looked up at me and his eyes narrowed, “Excuse me?”

I threw my cards at him pushing to my feet, “Just shut the hell up. I don’t want your stupid pity” I shouted at him.

“Mila!” Neyro called in the background.

Raven rose to his feet dropping his cards onto the pile, “I’m not trying to pity you, I’m trying to comfort you”

“I don’t need to be comforted” I snarled.

“Is everything alright?” Neyro’s voice was closer.

I turned from Raven, “I’ll find somewhere else to sleep” 

His hand caught my wrist pulling me back, my heel caught on one of the pillows and I slipped falling weightlessly back onto the pillows. Within seconds Rave was over top of me pinning my arms above my head. I wanted nothing more than to kill him, the only thing stopping me was my Panther.

“I am not trying to pity you, I am trying to show compassion to you. I thought if I showed you something, you might show me an emotion other than anger or hatred”

“Burn in hell, I really do hope you suffer Raven” I snapped.

“Mila please. Would you just listen to me, since you got here you’ve tried to kill me, then helped me, threatened me, then comforted me. What the hell am I supposed to do?” He shouted at me.

My eyes went wide in shock, had I really done that. “The only reason I’ve helped you is the Panther, if she vanished again I would wholeheartedly kill you”

He released my wrists and gently held the sides of my face, my chest froze and I struggled to draw in a breath. He watched me carefully, I could see it in his eyes, the intent of this. Why he wanted me in his room so badly. He was going to try and Mate with me, I screamed at my body to let me go. To let me run, my anger and rage quickly faded to fear. 

He lowered his lips to meet mine, with just the brush of his chilled lips to mine my body bowed up against his. His hands slid down my sides coming to the end of the cami top, they slid underneath the smooth clothe brushing over my stomach tickling my skin.

My Panther had caged me, I was watching helplessly as he kissed me, as he touched me. This self-serving bastard was using me. I didn’t want to watch this happen, I shut my eyes tightly feeling My panther roar with anger that I would deny her sight.

The curtains flew apart and the harsh bright light from Neyro’s working space flooded the warm candle-lit room. My eyes shot open and in the flustered confusion I grabbed control of my body pushing Raven off of me.

A short spasm shot across my lower back and then the fiery pain erupted consuming my mind. The lights all went out plunging the room into complete darkness, The walls began to shake and the sound of objects tumbling and crashing to the ground filled the air. 

My panther and I were both filled with a chilling fear, memories began to fuse with what I was really seeing. My heart ached as it slammed against the hard bone of my chest plate. Hands grappled for me but slapped pillows instead. Then it all ended, every sound, sight, scent, everything just stopped. As the world vanished from around me.