chapter one

"Y/n!" It's Newt, he sounds angry. "Get out of bed!"

I'm surprised by the hostility in his voice, he's my best friend. Of course I like him a lot more than just friends, but that was good enough for now.

"What?" I ask, still groggy from my nap.

"We have to go," he says.

"Go where?" He gives me an evil sneer. "It's time."

"It's time? Time for what?"

Newt pulls me out of bed, gripping my arm so hard I begin to lose feeling in my fingers.

"It's time for your banishment." He starts to pull me out the door of my bedroom, then out of the homestead.

"Banishment? What- why? What did I do?"

As we near the doors I can see the rest of the gladers gathered, most of them holding long poles. "What didn't you do? We were living in peace until you showed up, now you're the only girl in the glade. Everything began to change when you came up in the bloody box."

How could he do this to me? We were best friends, was it all a lie?

"Newt, please. I thought you were my friend. Please don't do this to me, please," I beg as he drags me into the middle of the circle.

"We were never friends, I've hated you since the moment I saw you. We voted, it was unanimous."

I look over at my other "friends." Thomas, Chuck, Minho, Gally, and Alby are laughing at me, so are the rest of the gladers. Newt drops me into the middle of the group and walks to the edge. He grabs a pole and gets in line with the other gladers.

I can feel a gust of wind, signaling the doors beginning to close. "Please, Newt,  please don't do this," I look into his eyes, needing to find the real Newt, my Newt, somewhere inside.

He laughs, "poles up!" The gladers push me into the maze. I have no choice but to back in.

The doors are closing fast and before I know it I can only see Newts face, laughing at me. "This is for your own good."

The doors are closed and I am trapped in the maze. The last thing I hear is the boys cheering inside the glade.