Football Practice

Chapter 19: Football Practice

Isabella's POV

After a few minutes of walking, Jay and I made it to the football field, where the rest of the team was doing laps around the track. I look around and see Ryan, shirtless and sweaty, doing push ups off to the side.

"Looking at Mr.Gomez, I see." Jay smirks over at me.

"Am not." I say, feeling my face heat up.

"You look like a tomato." Jay laughs.

"Shut up and go practice." I blush even more.

He nods and makes his way to the locker room as I take a seat on the bleachers.

As I sat down, I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket, a text from Emery.

'Hey girl, what happened to going to the mall?'

I reply with:

'I had a bad day, decided to go home.'

After replying, I watch Jay run out of the locker room and start his laps, with a few of the other boys.

"Hey, Isabella right?" I hear a voice behind me ask.

I turn around and realize it was Lauren, "Hi yeah. That's me." I smile.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lauren." She smiles brightly.

"You too."

"You're in my Literature class, you're a great writer." She compliments.

"Thank you so much! That means a lot." I smile, blushing a bit.

"I see you know Jay Preston." She blushes.

"Yeah, he's my boyfriend's friend." I say.

"Oh right, you're dating Ryan Gomez!" She says.

"Yup, how do you know Jay?" I ask.

"We use to be best friends in elementary school." She says, frowning a bit.

"Oh, if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by use to?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"We didn't go to the same middle school and freshman year here was so different. Like we didn't know each other at all. He became so quiet and isolated. He use to be so outgoing and confident," she tells me, sadness filling her voice, "I miss him."

"I know I really shouldn't be telling you this but we hung out today and he said he wanted to ask you to the homecoming tomorrow." I say, not regretting it at all.

"What? Seriously?" She asks, excitement in her voice.

"Yes but promise me, when he asks, act super surprised. I don't want him knowing I told you." I say.

"I promise." She smiles, "we should hang out sometimes."

"That'd be cool." I smile.

"I really need friends. I'm a sophomore with a memory of a friend," she pouts, "that sounds so pathetic."

"It doesn't at all. I feel the same way. I have no friends who are girls. I know 3 people: Ryan, Jay and Zach." I say.

"Zach? As in Zachary the boy who argues with Mr.Thompson?" She asks.

"Yup, that's him." I laugh.

"How do you know him?" She asks.

"He's a family friend." I say, leaving out major details.

"Ohh, aren't you friends with the cheerleaders the guys hang out with?" She questions.

"Cheerleaders? Not interested." I say, making Lauren laugh.