“I have to go after him.” I turned to face Jack as if I were pleading for permission, but I didn’t plan on letting anyone stop me. Not this time. “I know you may not believe me, but Alpha Brett is in over his head. And we can’t afford confrontation with werewolves while we have worse enemies around.” My eyes fell on Maria as I silently pleaded with her.

Jack ran a hand through his short hair in agitation. “Skylar, I just don’t think it’s-”

“I have to go!” I responded desperately, shifting from foot to foot in anticipation. I couldn’t waste any more time. My Wolf still wanted to claw her way out. “You honestly think I don’t know I’ll be putting myself in a dangerous situation? My father’s in a coma for crying out loud and I’m leaving him for this. We can’t afford a war on our hands and Alpha Brett is too blind to see that!”

I began to back away after Jack didn’t respond. Maria stepped forward. “Skylar, I could go with you, you don’t have to go alone…”

“No, this is my fault. I can’t put anyone else in danger.”

Jack cut in. “Your parents?”

“My mother will keep in contact with me. Just tell her I have to do this. I won’t be in danger from the Black Mountains Pack. They won’t hurt me.” My Wolf whined urgently, forcing me onwards. I turned away from Maria and Jack and began to jog towards the trees in preparation to Shift.

The conviction in my voice definitely assured Maria, but I caught a dubious look on Jack’s face as I turned away. I didn’t care. I had only myself to blame for this mess and I sure as Hell was going to solve it…I just didn’t know how yet.

“Stay alert Skylar!” Jack shouted after me, and I was relieved he wasn’t arguing anymore. Probably because he knew I was right; it was all my fault.

I Shifted as quickly as possible after tying my clothes to my ankle. I had still been feeling feverish and twitchy, although less so after Anne’s death, but the sensations thankfully subsided to a bearable level after I changed into my Wolf. I did not want to deal with all of that right now.

 My Wolf yipped in agitation and we took off in the general direction of the Black Mountain Pack’s territory. I felt a stab of guilt for not explaining everything to my mother, but surely she’d understand. I knew I was disregarding my own safety and my respect for Alpha Brett but if I could help my pack, I would.

It felt good to stretch my muscles again but, as I dodged thick tree trunks and leapt over fallen logs, I could feel the exhaustion that had come on from the lack of sleep. If I were human I wouldn’t have been able to stay awake for so long. I could only hope I would have enough energy to get there.

A couple minutes into my run I sensed another presence, fast approaching me, a grey blur through the vivid green of the forest. I skidded to a halt, my giant paws scrabbling on the ground, so the gigantic wolf narrowly avoided me. He whizzed within inches of me, the distilled air from his barreling run stirring my fur. He came to a stuttering halt and spun to face me, snarling. I recognized the wolf as Mikey, a decent warrior that was a large size, but slower than I. My fur bristled as I returned his growl, glaring at him.

What the Hell are you doing? I snapped through the mind-link.

Alpha Brett told me that I couldn’t let you follow them, he replied in his deep, guttural voice. I growled louder, the sound reverberating from deep within my chest.

I’m trying to HELP Alpha Brett! He’s going to get himself killed!

He Commanded me, and I obey my Alpha’s orders, he replied coolly, although I saw wariness presiding deep in his yellow eyes. Mikey didn’t want to attack me but he had no choice if I tried to follow the Alpha.