Chapter 9

It would be an understatement to say that Loretta was fuming. It was nothing short of a miracle that she did not end up jumping Priscilla's throat. Arthur Hillbrook intervened at the perfect time and Loretta took the opportunity to simply walk away while Priscilla shrieked after Elvis like a banshee. Truth be told, she had a bad feeling about Priscilla to begin with and it only intensified when the woman refused to so much as shake her hand. Her comment about her children had been the last straw- if Loretta never saw this woman again if wouldn't be a minute too soon.

It was crazy- Elvis was one of the nicest, kindest people she had ever met but surrounded by some of the rudest, most unpleasant people she had ever encountered, namely, the Colonel and Priscilla.

Filming this movie was shaping up to be possibly the hardest thing she had done in her life, which was quite a feat considering the cruel touring schedules she had endured along with having no money and four children, one after the other when she was little more than a child herself.

Loretta went into her trailer, forcing herself to take deep breaths to try and calm herself. It wouldn't be long until she had to return to business- to literally pretend to be someone else.

As of late she fought with Doolittle every time they talked- it was tempting not to talk to him at all for a while but she was headed for home tomorrow morning. She wasn't one to wallow in self pity, but sometimes it was all too much to bear.

Her head was pounding and she could only hope that the pills that didn't work half the time would alleviate the pain enough to allow her to function. They wouldn't help with the anger though. Still, she sat on the couch and forced herself to close her eyes.

Loretta couldn't tell just how much time had passed when there was a knock on the door, followed by Elvis' deep voice asking if he could come in.

"Come in." Loretta straightened herself, smoothing down her hair just as he entered, wearing an expression of complete and utter regret.

"I'm sorry, honey." The trailer door fell shut behind him. "I just..."

"It's fine," she said with a nonchalance that betrayed every ounce of her feelings.

"My wife was outta line." He forced the words through gritted teeth. "You've been so good to me, Loretta. I just...I come with all those folks that treat you like no one should ever be treated and you're still so good to me."

"Because you've been good to me too. You ain't your wife or your manager."

Elvis ran a hand over his face. "She's gone now and she ain't comin' back either."

Loretta nodded slowly, her head still not quite right but not exactly hurting. "We better get back to work."

"Yeah." Elvis expelled a sigh. "And I really am sorry."

A half smile curled against her mouth. "You stop bein' sorry."

She suspected that the person who had actually done wrong wasn't the least bit sorry.

"Loretta!" Doolittle bellowed, pulling her out of her thoughts. "Are you there?"

"Yes, Doo. I was just thinkin'."

"If you're gonna be here actually be here," Doolittle snapped before turning back to the television set, which he was ironically so engrossed in that he wasn't exactly mentally present either. And later on he'd undoubtedly be off to the bar.

Loretta had been home for several hours, which passed in a blur. She had eaten and done some laundry with the housekeeper but most the time had been spend with her brute of children. Betty Sue and Jack would be coming by later, at least they had said that they would.