The Flash Back

I woke up to a line of light beaming in from the moldy window of the shack we were living in. We were somewhere in the middle of Colorado at the moment. We’ve actually been here for about a month, which is the longest we’ve been in one place since dad died.

           I quickly sat up in my bed and stretched my tight limbs. I could tell it was still early in the morning by the way there was still a hint of darkness outside as the sky started to turn in to a light pastel purple, almost blue. The shack was dead silent, which isn’t anything new since Ren, Gracy, and Della like to sleep in. I looked over to my clock to see the little red numbers blinking 5:55.Moms probably on her way back from the dock now. Mom has this radio station basically letting any survivors in the area know that we have food and protection and that we’re looking to regroup. It also gives her location and what time to be there. So far we haven’t gotten any responses, but mom is persistent. She goes to the dock every morning 5 to 6. 

            I stepped out of my bed and made my way down the hallway to the kitchen to start making breakfast. The only sound that filled the house was the sound of my lazy feet hitting the old hard wood floor as I walked down the narrow hallway. Then a loud thump echoed through the house as I slipped on something wet and fell to the floor. I quietly groaned and hoped that I didn’t wake up my brother and sisters as I stood up and looked at what I just slipped in. My mouth fell open as I examined the putrid black substance on my hand. For a minute I just sat there in disbelief and terror, but then I quickly got up and made my way to our small bathroom with shaking hands. I tried to open the door quietly, but the old door creaked loudly like always.

 “Shit” I whispered to myself as my hands began shaking more violently. I quickly turned on the lights and put the plug in the drain of the sink. I poured water into it and grabbed a bland bar of soap and rough scrubber. I started scrubbing my hands fast and hard, I scrubbed my hands so hard that it started to burn. I knew exactly what this ‘black substance’ was and I also knew that it was here recently or is still in my house. With my family. With that thought I scrubbed harder until I bled. Once I saw the red blood start to mix with the black residue I unplugged the drain and braced myself against the counter as I tried to breathe and not panic. I was freaking out and my stomach couldn’t take it. I stumbled the short distance to the toilet and started dry heaving until last night’s vegetarian baked beans reappeared. I sat there for a minute staring at my vomit until turning away before I became sick again. What am I doing? I thought to myself as I got to my unsteady feet and slowly walked to the door of the bathroom. I need to do something before one of my siblings run into it before I have the chance to kill it.

                I made my way out of the bathroom after checking the hallway to make sure the Rabid was nowhere in sight. I quietly walked to my mother’s room, avoiding all the puddles of the black fluid. I walked through her door way and continued walking to where she kept her weapons in a trunk in the corner of the tiny bedroom. I don't know why I was getting one of her guns when I had working weapons of my own. I've never faced a rabid on my own before because moms always been there with me. I stared at the trunk as I fought with myself. I was also stalling.

In a fit of confidence I flipped open the lid and grabbed a random pistol of my moms and turned around with a new determination in my step.

I came to a halt before exiting her bedroom as I noticed her bed. All the air left my lungs as I noticed the tiny blood puddle on her bed. Her sheets were disheveled as if she had tossed and turned all night. I approached her bed slowly to get a closer look. I then saw a clump of hair where her pillow was, which had drops of the black fluid on it. There was also a little white thing on it. I leaned over and picked one up, but it quickly made its way to the floor when I realized it was a tooth. My hands flew to my mouth to try and suppress the sob that was escaping from my whole being.