Chapter 20: With Love Comes Power

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, Anna's guilt was replaced by fright. 

A melodic howl, laced with pain filled the air.

Although she had never heard the sound before, Anna knew who it belonged to.

Before she could think about her actions, Anna was moving as fast as her feet could carry her. She didn't know where she was going. The new luna hadn't the chance to view much of her territory.

It was as if an invisible string had lassoed her heart, tugging. In return, her heart was telling her feet where to go, leaving her mind out of the loop.

The same pain-stricken howl, flashed through the silent night air, willing her aching body to move faster.

Anna closed her eyes to save them from the drying midnight wind as she flew past. 

The woods became a blur around her as her heartbeat echoed in her ears and black specs threatened to hold her vision captive. 

Would Maks be ok when she reached him? How many people has he hurt? Would she be able to reach him at all?

These questions kept her feet moving, passing her physical max. 

However, before she could faint from oxygen deprivation, Anna saw the most horrid scene before her.

A giant wolf stood in the clearing, radiating power. 

How angelic... 

That was a funny thought considering the black beast was flashing agonizingly sharp teeth at the pack members surrounding it. 

For Anna, there was no mistaking the creature before her. From the thick black hair that cascaded down its body to the smoldering amber eyes that threatened to destroy her heart. All of it so familiar. All of it belonged to Maksim.

Anna looked to the show before her, brows furrowed. But why were pack members surrounding their alpha?

She could see Nik instructing them, but she was to far away to hear his command.

Inching forward, she could see industrial restraints in the hands of a big man. Where those meant for Maksim? Her heart broke at the thought. She'd die before she saw him tied up like an animal. 

The dark shifter snapped his teeth at the man ready for a battle. Anna could now identify the bulky man as Oli, who Maksim introduced to her as the pack's trainer. 

She watched on as Oli took a step closer, causing a nauseatingly sinister snarl to be emitted for the beast that is her mate.

Anna was so close now, that she was able to see into the wolf's eyes. Those amber eyes that she knew so well. Except they weren't the eyes she knew. Yes they were the same in color, but they held no emotion. It was then, Anna came to the same conclusion as the doctor. But how could she tell? What did she know?

Looking back up, she met the pair of amber eyes again. They weren't as beautiful as she first thought, only because Maksim was not behind them.

It was him Anna's heart yearned for. Didn't that prove it? You could have asked her yesterday how much those eyes meant to her and the answer would have been that they were priceless because of their beauty. Now they were meaningless, all because they didn't belong to Maksim.

No, they now belonged to the wolf.

When the true nature of her situation settled in, Anna let out a whimper of heartbreak.

Immediately, all eyes were drawn to her.

It didn't take long for the sound of paws scraping across the earth to meet her ears.