Chapter 6 - Aubrey Ashdown

Chapter 6

Aubrey Ashdown

            The young man has short brown hair that is pushed out of his face, and olive skin, his broad shoulders evident, even under his ebony cloak. And this young man has no ordinary eyes; there are breath-taking midnight blue, and framed by incredibly long, dark lashes. I have to admit that he is pretty good-looking.

When I realise what I am thinking, I hurriedly try to push the thoughts away. “Good evening. My name is Aubrey Ashdown. Are any of your names Cyra, Zenobee, Wynter or Robyn, by any chance?” Aubrey asks us with his gentle voice.

“That’s us. I’m Robyn, and this is Cyra, Wynter and Zenobee.” Robyn introduces us, one by one. “What seems to be the trouble?”

“Oh, there is no trouble at all. Your parents are the ones who sent me to meet you four. They told me you might need some form of transportation. So I am here to bring you to wherever you might be heading.” Aubrey explains good-naturedly, with a diminutive grin on his face. “Oh, okay, great. We were planning to head to York, in the northern part of England where my aunt lives. How long would you think our travel would take us?” Robyn asks, his voice sounding all serious and business-like.

I am surprised how he believes this man who calls himself Aubrey Ashdown so fast, without even thinking. I think however much he seems to be fine and relaxed on the outside, that he feels extremely hopeless in the inside. I hate seeing my best friend like this, it hurts me so bad. “Hang on. How can we trust you are really sent by our parents to help us, that you are not maybe some murderer on the run?” I ask aggressively, interrupting their conversation.

An amused smile lights up Aubrey’s face. “I can assure you, madam, that I am no such person. If I was, your parents wouldn’t have let you leave the house until I was locked in the gaol.” He replies.

I feel heat rush up to my cheeks. “Well then, prove it.” I say, still suspicious.

I see Aubrey reach for something in his pocket; it is a small sheet of parchment, folded in half. He hands it to me and I take it without hesitation. I slowly open it.

When it is already open, I immediately see very familiar writing; it is my mother’s neat, careful script. Just by looking at it, it makes my vision blur because of the tears now forming in my eyes.

I quickly brush them off, hoping no one has noticed. Everyone except Aubrey is close to me now, ready to hear what the letter says. I begin to read aloud:

Dear Cyra, Zenobee, Robyn, and Wynter,

          We, your parents, are so sorry for making you leave us in such a hurry and with so little explanation. Parents should never be separated from their children, but we hope someday you will all be able to forgive us. We are just trying to protect you. We hope you will understand.

We have assigned Aubrey here to help you on your journey with his horse, Shadow, and a cart, big enough for all of you to fit in. Don’t worry; you can trust him. We made sure of that.

Be safe, my darlings. Always stick together no matter what.

                                                                                                               With all the love we can give,

                                                                                          Alice and Thomas Edenhart, Tashlyn  

                                                                          and William Hunter, and Violet and Javin Black-Thorn

We are all silent for a long time, taking in every word our parents had sent us. It is very short, but enough for all of us to be filled with misery. Aubrey is also very quiet, letting us think about the letter for a while.

“How long would it take for us to get to York?” Robyn asks abruptly, breaking the silence. I can see it in his eyes that he cannot take this any longer. “It will be about three days, at least.” Aubrey replies.

“Let’s get on our way then.” Robyn says, ready for anything ahead of us.