He gave me a huge smile, very proud of his planned skills, and I couldn't help smiling back. Just the day before it had felt like we'd never have a normal day together without things getting awkward. But now, I felt like everything might just go back to normal.

There was a knock on the door and Ryan's mother's voice drifted through the wood. "Ryan, dinner is ready. Please come downstairs and bring your friend," she requested.

My smile wilted some and I glanced at Ryan as he called back, "Sure thing, ma!" before he turned to me. "So, I meant to tell you this before you met my parents, but they can kinda hostile towards my friends, and sometimes they get a little scary. Just ignore them, and if you can, avoid them." He pulled me towards the door. "But they'll leave you alone while I'm there."

We went downstairs and into the big dining room where Mr. Richards was seated and Mrs. Richards was placing a big platter of grilled chicken on the table. I felt nervous again and glanced anywhere but Ryan's parents. Ryan seemed to notice this and lead me to a seat where he'd be in front of his dad and I'd be in front of his mom. I wasn't sure which was worse, so I didn't complain. Ryan knew what he was doing more than I, so I was inclined to trust him.

For the first part of the meal, no one really talked much. Ryan's parents asked how school was going and the usual stuff parents would ask, and Ryan would answer most of them for both of us, helping me out if I was asked directly about something. I relaxed little by little as the meal progressed and Mr. and Mrs. Richards seemed to ease up as well.

"So, do you guys ever work on homework together?" Mrs. Richards asked.

"Mom," Ryan complained. "Why do you always have to ask such weird questions? What does our homework have to do with anything?"

I snickered since I was sure my dad would have asked the same thing. It was such a parent thing to ask. School, homework, and sometimes social life, were the only things parents tended to be concerned about. Ryan's parents were no exception.

Ryan huffed and took a bite of mash potatoes. "Why don't you ask something dumb like our favorite colors?" he questioned.

Mr. Richards chuckled at that, and Mrs. Richards shrugged. "I'm your mother. I care about the important stuff," she said.

"Correction," Ryan said as he held his fork in the air, a piece chicken stuck on the end that he had yet to eat. "Homework is not important stuff. I'll never be using algebra again, so it's not important, and I am pretty sure I won't need to know how to split an atom in everyday life, so that's also not important. There's really nothing of use in anything you're taught in highschool."

"Depends on what field of work you end up working in," Ryan's father interjected. "Take a business like mine. If you want to succeed in that you have to know algebra that relates to business matters."

"Well, maybe that's not what I want to succeed in," Ryan said, his prior amusement diminishing slightly.

Mr. Richards frowned, the table growing silent. "Who's going to continue with the family business?" he asked.

"I don't know. Give it to one of your precious employees. I don't want it," Ryan snorted. "It's boring."

"Not everything in life can be fun, Ryan," Mr. Richards said sincerely. "Everyone has to grow up someday, including you."

Ryan dropped his fork on his plate and crossed his arms. "Sure. In your opinion," he countered.

Mr. Richards began to look a little frustrated and I started to feel uncomfortable again. "May I be excused?" I asked hopefully. "I need to use the bathroom."

Both of the parents nodded, and Ryan told me to use the one in his room. I nodded and quickly left, hurrying upstairs and into Ryan's bathroom, shutting the door and sighing in relief. I had a feeling Ryan knew why I left and he would be soon to follow. Since I didn't really have to go to the bathroom, I just washed my hands and took my time getting rid of all the suds. I was about to leave the bathroom when I heard Ryan's door slam and footsteps walk across the room. I poked my head out of the bathroom just in time to see Ryan face-plant onto his bed and begin grumbling to himself. "They never listen..."

I bit my lip, contemplating if I should go out or not. Finally, I decided to leave the bathroom and walked over to Ryan slowly. "You okay?" I asked.

He looked up at me and I could see he his eyes were red. "Oh, yeah..." he said as if he had forgotten I was there. "I'm fine. Just a little tired."

I glanced at the ceiling, forming a proper sentence slowly. "You know, if something is upsetting you, I don't mind listening. You can always talk to me," I told him. "It's always good to talk about things."

Ryan seemed surprised to have his words used against him, and a hint of a smile formed. "Yeah, thanks. I'll keep that in mind." He paused. "It's frustrating to be around my parents, so do you want to get out of here? Let's go something fun."

I hesitated. "Will your parents be okay with that?" I asked.

"Forget about my parents." Ryan smiled. "Come on. It'll be a blast."

I couldn't help smiling too. "Alright. But I don't want to stay out too late," I said.

He nodded and grabbed my hand. "Let's go."

*******

Subscribe to my YouTube at: Melanie Eberhheart

Donate to my Patreon at: patreon.com/MelanieEberheart

Or follow me on Tumblr at: nekosaysmeow333

-Nekoco