Six: All the Good Ones are Gay

Adam

I'm in shock. I can feel my mouth stuck open as I throw my head back down on the pillow. A pain is stabbing me in my center. She has mesmerized me and cut my balls off in the same moment. Leaving me completely ambivalent.

I slip myself away from her and stumble off the bed. A burst of energy plows through me, making me pace my apartment.

In the dark, I stumble over something on the floor. Flipping on a lamp, I see Gillian's purse laid by the couch. Her phone is sticking out of the top, half in and half out. Without thinking, I hold it in my hand and look at it. Do I look at her phone and see who this Tristan is? I have it on before I finish the question.

I know this is wrong, to look through her phone, but if she has a damn boyfriend, I want to know about him. Right. This. Second.

Thankfully, there is no security code. I look through all her contacts, no one named Tristan. I look through her text messages. Only messages from Me, Roxy, her mom and I assume Sis, is her sister. There a few messages from bills she paid, nothing from a fucking Tristan.

I don't have answers.

I look through her photos...lots of city photos, a couple with her and Roxy. No, guys in her photos, well, except for a few bums feeding pigeons. Pretty nice photos, actually.

Second-guessing what I heard, I replay the events. I lie back on the couch and play it over in my head. Trying to relive the moment her mouth touched mine, I can feel my excitement build for her again and I can almost feel her mouth caress mine. Slow, lovely, full of something...what was it? I open my eyes are realize what it was.

Love.

It was love, and it wasn't for me. It was for some guy named Tristan.

The pain of rejection penetrates my stomach. I grab a couch pillow and shove it in my center, hoping to fill the void.

Gillian's in love with someone named Tristan? Jealousy invades my soul but I know I have no right to be jealous of a girl I am not even dating.

How did I not know about this? Now, I am mad at myself. I'm an idiot.

Suddenly, I remember a conversation from earlier in the day. She said she did not have a brother, boyfriend or dad... no boyfriend... he's not her boyfriend.

*****

Sounds from the bathroom awaken me. Momentarily, forgetting the previous night, I am confused as to why I am on the couch and still in my pants. However, it all comes back to me as I'm on my way to discover the sound.

Gillian is hunched over the toilet. "Gillian, are you..."

"Adam?" she says perplexed. "Please, get out... shut the door."

"Can I get you something?" I ask quickly.

"No. Just some priv..." She can't get the word out as her stomach starts another round.

I know it's not right, but I laugh to myself as I shut the door. Nothing tells us how much we screw up more than nature. Nature's going to be reminding her of this mistake all day.

Remembering last nights events, I need to find out about this Tristan, dick, but first I want to help her feel better. I go into the kitchen and gather all the ingredients to make Bloody Mary's.

In the middle of my mixing, I feel eyes staring at me. Shifting my body to the side, I see Gillian looking at me, and my wrinkled pants. I'm not sure, but I think I see a little relief in her eyes. I look down at my pants too, immediately saying, "I slept on the couch."