A farmer's plight

A poor farmer's words to his unborn child who is going to commit suicide .

For my precious son or daughter,

I can't apologize enough for what I'm going to do. You must understand that it's for your own good. I can't see you starve and struggle to live. I would love to hold you in my arms and kiss your tiny hands. I want nothing more than for you to gaze into my eyes and to just fall in love with you a thousand times, but I can't .

I feel nothing but guilt, and hatred towards myself. I am unbelievably sorry. you might not be able to see me when you're born. but always remember that Your daddy  love you very much despite what I am going to do.  your father is a proud farmer but all his hard earned money went to repaying the loan. nothing remains. your mom is so innocent and I don't want her to get harassed by those wicked money lenders to whom I owe money. She already endured a lot .

My precious little one, I hope one day I can come back to you, forgive me for my actions and be mine forever.

I could have waited to see your mom  carrying you for nine long heartbreaking months and have you in my arms , kiss you, but I just wouldn't be able to leave you then and that would be so selfish. I'm sorry my darling. I feel cruel, and I deserve everything that comes my way. I wish I could change my mind.

Sweetheart, I want nothing more than to give you a better life and for you to live it, but the position I'm in at the moment doesn't allow me to do so, and you would only just survive. I don't want you to suffer like me working in the fields . Please believe me when I say that you would be my entire world, my whole universe. I would love you forever, and more. I just hope you understand that.

Please my little Angel. Accept my apology. Accept these tears of sadness that I cry. Accept the hatred I have for myself. Please understand I have no other choice. 

The Government will give your mom some amount as compensation and insurance money will come in handy too. after repaying the loans, ask your mom to spend it on you and her wisely. Don't be a illiterate like me . Study . Take care of your mom. 

Nobody ever prepares themselves for situations such as these and I don't think anyone could brace themselves for the way that they would feel. I really wish I could be with you. You would be beautiful and you would be mine. The only thing in the entire world which I could call my very own and here I am letting you down.

I love you. I'm sorry.

************

I wrote this a  long while back.

Flipping through random channels on my Television, something grabbed my attention. A news channel, which showed a farmer, having no other option left but to mortgage his own children for a mere sum of Rs . 3500, only to get money for cultivation. But now heavy rainfall has destroyed his crops and his hope to see his children for another year.
What does a farmer do in such a case?

A few days back, there was an article in a leading newspaper about the unseasonal rainfall received this year during the months of march and april and how it has severely affected and damaged the crops.
Moreover as a reparation Rs. 2160 were given to a handfull of farmers, making a mockery out of it.
Unseasonal rainfall, surely is a farmer's worst nightmare. The article went on to state the shocking facts about farmer suicides in India. According to an estimate there were 601 suicide cases just in Maharashtra merely in 3 months. According to another, approximately 17 farmers committed suicide daily in 2014 in India.

A farmer who produces crops for the entire nation may even find his family starve to sleep at night. Such is the sorry plight of the farmers in a country where 60% of the total population depends directly or indirectly on agriculture, a country which has the slogan jai jawan, jai kisan.

Who is to be blamed for their death? Is the government ready to take the responsibility? The extent to which government seems to be ignorant was seen in a recent rally organized in Delhi for farmers, where a farmer hanged himself, but the chief minister carried on with his speech.

Though the government has launched various policies and schemes, it further needs to take the necessary steps, to abridge the gap between the rich and poor, so that no more such incidents happen when a farmer is left with no other option but to take his own life.