Chapter 17

“Shay, it is so good to see you.”

I was more than surprised. Deep down, her being at my house before eight in the morning- I knew it was bad news. I was still excited to see her.

Shay walked past me and into the kitchen. She looked liked a model- as always. And my eyes went straight to her shoes. I have never seen her wear the same shoes twice.

“Nice shoes.” I said, half joking and half meaning it.

“Girl, these were a bargain-I couldn’t help myself.”  Shay threw her purse on the sofa and sat at the table.

“Coffee?”

“Sure, so you know we have to talk, right?”

I tried to hide the over exaggerated exhale that was begging to come out.

“Yeah, I know.”

I poured the coffee and sat across from her. Shay had a way about her that just seemed to flow perfectly. She even made stirring her coffee look like an art. Shay’s skin was a milk chocolate color that always seemed so smooth and soft. She wore little to no make-up and her hair was always perfect. Shay was the closest thing to a girl friend I had ever had- which says a lot about my friendships.

“They are not taking my excuses anymore, Eve. You are going to have to produce something and soon.”

I nodded and took a sip of my coffee.

“How long?”

“Next week- or you are out.”

I closed my eyes and thought about exactly what that meant. I knew it was coming but hearing it scared the life out of me. I didn’t know how to do anything but write and doing anything else…well, I just didn’t know how.

“I will get it done.”

“How far along are you?”

“Do you really want to know?”

“Yes, I need to know everything. You know I can work for you better when I have all the facts. You haven’t been returning my calls, the last time I came by here you didn’t come to the door, I just…well…I don’t want to say that I had given up on you, but I sure felt like you had given up all together.”

“I think I did, Shay. But, things have changed a lot for me lately….” I stood from the table and put my cup in the sink. “…my kids are in there sleeping right now and they are happy to be here.” I smiled at the thought. It felt like that was all that really mattered at all.

“That’s great, Evie, and I am happy for you. But if you don’t produce this book then you are going to be jobless. Not to mention what you will owe them for breaking the contract.”

I nodded again.

“I have something in mind. I will promise you one thing; it will be the best one I have ever written…if I can get it done.”

“No ifs, Eve…just make it happen…please!”

~~

“Soorrrryyy!” Bay took her yellow peg and knocked my blue peg all the way across the table.

“Hey, you don’t have to abuse my little peg.” I laughed as I reached for my peg and put it back in the start circle.

“I hate this game. Why can’t we play Battleship? Sorry is so boring.” Ryland only said it because Bay was beating us. Otherwise, he loved it.

“I got a three! I only need one more in home and I win!” Bay was bragging.

My phone rang and I hated to ruin this moment, but it could be Brad for his daily call to the kids.