Chapter Sixteen: An Unexpected Turn.

Start from the beginning

   But Detrick gestured him forward and entered first.” It isn’t very deep, but it should keep us relatively safe.”

   Tauren nodded and passed under the rocky ledge over the opening. He went all the way to the sandy back of the cave, about a hundred feet, straight from the entrance, and laid Vajik down on a bed of small, soft, fleshy mushrooms. 

   Only then did he look around. The back of the cave was surprisingly light, he quickly saw the source, and it was the same moss as had been in the Ruins of Arluine. He winced as the memory brought back the thought of his failed quest. He had given an oath, now he had totally failed it. The contents of the first box were gone!

   The closer to the mouth of the cave you got, the less moss there was, and the more mushrooms. He gestured Detrick over to him, feeling that silence was ideal, and quickly they searched Vajik. Taurens decision was that that the Colonel was just tired; a good night’s sleep should be all he’d need, the cut across his face was really quite minor, and Tauren quickly did his best to bandage it.

   When they were done, they left him in peace at the back of the cave and went forward a bit. They gathered a heap of dead branches outside in the quickly falling dusk and made a small crackling fire on the floor of the cave, which they had cleared as best they could. Tauren had argued that it would be best not to do so, seeing as it might attract unwanted night-prowler visits, but Detrick had disagreed, arguing that night-prowlers would most likely be afraid of fire.

   Tauren had given in, though not without first noticing the stinging cold that emanated from the cave, in complete contrast to the oddly moist, decaying warmth of the forest.

   He made a bed of the small, dryer mushrooms and sat down in it, warming his hands over the fire and marveling at the variety of mushrooms that grew there. Detrick did the same opposite him.

Tauren bent down and laid his head on his knees, staring into the flaring, blue and green tinged flame of the fire. A question nagged at him. At first he thought he was wondering what to do with Vajik, but he quickly realized that they had a bigger problem. Whatever in this forest could drive Vajik half mad with fear could most definitely do the same to Tauren. This forest, they didn’t even know where they were. But the girl He asked himself, what about her? She may not even be here?  The other half of his mind defended She may still be back in Dimwalden. Even if she is here, she probably won’t make it through the night. . . . Exactly!

   He glanced up and started, Detrick had picked up a long, thin stick and was now roasting a thick, juicy mushroom over the fire. He grinned up at Tauren.” Want some dinner?” He asked merrily.

   Tauren stared at the mushroom apprehensively.” You sure that’s a good idea? It might be poisonous.”

   Detrick shook his head and gestured to the side. Another of those odd, mouse-like creatures was nibbling on a mushroom identical to Detrick’s hardly half a dozen yards away, gazing at them out of big, glassy eyes. Tauren wished he had his bow, and then they’d have something a bit more substantial than mushrooms.

   His stomach growled at him, and with a sigh he gave in and picked up his own stick and mushroom, deciding that if it didn’t kill the mouse then it probably wouldn’t kill him. The mushroom was small, pale grey, very frilly, and it was rather chewy, but Tauren didn’t complain as warm, powerful juices ran across his mouth.

   It reminded him of Carmenton . . . he mentally slapped himself and swerved away from the memories. Carmenton was only a memory now, no need to dwell on it.

   Tauren glanced up into the darkness about the cave, listening attentively to the scuffling, grunting, and squeaking that jarred his mind, so loud and varied they were.