Day Two - Tuesday

The second day, ignoring Scorpius was much easier. Gryffindor and Slytherin did not share any classes that day, and she barely saw him, except across the Great Hall at meals.

Unfortunately, Albus caught her staring at the Slytherin table during lunch, and asked again why she wasn't speaking to their friend. She toyed with the idea of telling him, thinking that it might be nice to have an ally against such an evil force as the Malfoys, but she knew Albus well enough to know that anything she told him he would tell to his mother. Then his mother would tell her mother and then her mother would know that she'd stolen the diaries and it would be a complete disaster. So she told him that she had her reasons and stormed out of the Great Hall, biting savagely into an apple as she went.

She spent that afternoon in the library, half-heartedly researching flobberworm mucus for a Potions essay. Despite the subject matter, she enjoyed the reprieve of studying. She sat at her favorite table in the very back of the library, where other students rarely went.

Rose wished that she didn't have to be angry at Scorpius, but she couldn't betray her family. She knew that it would be what her parents wanted, if they only knew. It was probably why she was rarely allowed to see Scorpius outside of Hogwarts—why she'd heard her parents arguing about it one night after she was supposed to have gone to bed.

That night, tucked in her bed at Hogwarts, Rose read her mother's account of the results of using cat hair instead of human hair in a Polyjuice Potion. Rose had nightmares about growing furry ears and a tail, and losing the ability to speak English, reduced to communicating in meows. She woke with such a start the next morning that a girl named Kendra asked her if she was all right. Rose was relieved that she answered in English.