All is fair in war and family

"Little Fae, you look stunning. Please reconsider my love for you."

I rolled my eyes at Dax Caderyn, another heir to the Dae Council, and took a sip of my wine. The gust of cold air hit me hard as my eyes caught the sun set.

"Found me, Dax?" I asked as Dax just ducked beneath my window pane and stepped out onto the roof with me. The roof has always been my sanctuary. It over looked the beautiful city of New York. All the lights shimmered beneath the dim sun rays, which always calmed me.

"I always know where you hide during parties, Mac. This isn't just your sanctuary." Dax teased and sat down next to me. He was right. About four years ago, I decided to escape the awful parties that my Father and step mother hosted. It has always been like pulling teeth. So one day, I found myself sitting on the roof, away from the fake faces, music, and dreaded awkward conversations. Unfortunately, the others followed me, and it wasn't just my alone place any more. It was all of ours.

"But I did decided to come look for you. I was drawn by your beauty, little Fae."

I just rolled my eyes.

"Daxard Caderyn, are you actually considering settling down and making heirs with me?" I teased as Dax's brown eyes flashed wickedly.

"With you, little Fae? Hell yeah." He said and I just about sputtered my red wine. Dax was one of my closest friends. Because my brother and I were also what others called "Council Kids" Dax, Eli, Trystan, me, and a few other heirs grew up each other. Honestly, we have practically lived with each other throughout the years. Dax was like a brother to me.

"Find another Dae, Dax. I will never settle down." I told him with a smile, but my statement rang true to every word. Dax just chuckled and leaned against the outside wall. I was propped up against the outside of my bedroom at my Father's house. My legs chilled from the night crisp wind. I shivered and cursed the dress that my step mother, Lorriana, forced me to wear. I looked like a disco ball that was supposed to be an "eye catching" silver mini dress. I looked ridiculous. Dresses were not my thing, nor will ever be.

"Oh, I think we all know that, Mac." He said. He took my glass, tipped it against his lips, and drank the last of it.

We just sat there as I heard the rumble of voices down stairs.

"Hey Mac?"

I raised my brow as Dax sat the glass next to my bare leg.

"I am sorry about the loss of the title. I know how hard you worked for it. The Council is just a bunch of old fashion skull heads."

I couldn't help but laugh and put my hand on Dax's arm.

"Thanks Dax, that means a lot. But we both knew it was a long shot." I said softly and Dax just nodded in agreement. He didn't bring up my father, and I was grateful for that.

Dax was a big guy. He was the the tallest Daes in our age group, and one of the tallest ones recorded. He stood nearly 7 feet tall, with a broad chest and frame. Dax, like most Daes, was very good looking too. His muscular body and frame didn't take away from his boyish good looks. He had curly brown hair, deep brown eyes that had gold specks, and a smile that would turn any girl's stomach.

"Their loss." He said and put his arm around me. I just lightly smiled and leaned my head against his chest. Dax teased about my looks a lot, and I flirted back with him, but there was nothing between us. Dax was practically my brother. Always loyal. Always will be.

We sat there in silence for a few moments before it was interrupted by muffled voices coming from my bedroom.

"I swear if I have to listen to Alaric say one more thing about me marrying some girl to produce an heir, I will strangle the old man with his beard." I heard a voice say and snorts behind him. Dax and I turned around to see the Council Heirs coming through my window.