Chapter 10

"Aly," I heard a voice repeat my name, I stirred as it got louder and finally I opened my eyes thinking its 10k trying to wake me up. Only the face I saw didn't belong to 10,000, "mom?," I asked sitting up and looking around, I was back home in Tennessee, back in my old room. "Yes mom now get up and get dressed, breakfast is ready," she told me closing my door. I sat on my bed with my head in my hands, 'was it all just a dream,' I questioned getting up and going to shower. After my shower I ran a comb through my hair and went to put on my uniform, with consisted of a black skirt and long socks, a white blouse with a black bow. I pulled my hair up halfway finishing with a white bow with skulls on it, I laced up my red converse and went downstairs. I almost had tears in my eyes as I saw all of my family there, alive and happy, "Aly what's wrong," my littlest sister, Torye, asked, I blinked away tears and grabbed an apple, "nothing just thinking of this dream I had," I told them ruffling both of my sisters hair, kissing my mom's cheek and tightly hugging my dad before running to school. The rest of the day seemed pretty normal, after school I hung out with some friends till about late afternoon before headed home, 'I can't shake this feeling like I've already done this day,but does that mean 10k and everyone aren't even real' I thought to myself as I walked down the street hearing murmuring, I looked over at a large crowd where two people had seemed to pass out. An officer began pushing people back when one of them got up and sunk its teeth in the officers shoulder, the other one got up as people began to panic, some started dropping like flies as everyone fleed. I quickly ran home and bursted through the door only for my dad to nearly hit me with a frying pan, "dad's what's going on," I asked frantic, "I dont know, Mr. Sims knocked on the door and then tried to bite me," he told me. We heard the window behind him break, as Mr. Sims crawled through all bloody, he lunged at us as I reached for my bat and brought it down on his head. He hit the ground as I dropped my bat and fell to the floor, "Aly go pack a bag while I try and reach your mother," he told me as I did what I was told, I came back down as he hung up his phone and watched what the news was saying. "Did you get her," I asked, "it went to voicemail, theyre blocking the city up I told her to meet us in Illinois," he told me handing me the bat as we raced to the car. He sped off as our once neighbors chased after us, it then hit me like a ton of bricks as this was the day everything went to hell, the two weeks before I had lost my dad, after realizing it everything faded to black again.
*in the real world*
10k wrang out the wash cloth and placed it on my head before taking my hand in his. Cassandra walked over and placed her hand on his shoulder, "she'll be ok, Doc said is just a case of exhaustion mixed with the shock of everything that's happened," she said. I stirred alittle as my eyes fluttered open, "Aly," 10k said as he sat on the edge cupping my face, Cas ran to get the others. "1-10k," I asked fully opening my eyes and sat up quickly throwing my arms around him as his own arms incircled me. I immediately regretted sitting up so quick as I pulled away from 10k and ran over to the window, emptying what little was in my stomach. I heard three more sets of footsteps race to my side as a hand rubbed my back and pulled my hair away from my face, "Seriously," came a voice from below as I looked down to see Murphy looking up at me covered in what I threw up. I grinned sheepishly, "sorry Murphy didn't see you," I yelled weakly down at him, Roberta stuck her head out the window, "did you get the vegetables," she asked him, he held up a basket untouched by stomach acid and puke, "good now meet me in the kitchen," she yelled before disappearing out the door. Doc looked at me and 10k and then Cassandra while having a mental conversation between themselves, Doc then grabbed 10k by the shoulder and ushered him out the door, "were gonna get some herbs to help with your stomach," he said as they disappeared, "lets get you cleaned up," she said leading me down the hallway and into this simple yet elegant bathroom. She went over to the clawfoot tub and began filling it with water before adding what I guessed was bubble bath by the sweet scent, "strip down and get in there before I get back," she told me,"wha- no Cas I'll be fine bathing myself," I aruged but she shook her head, "your still not well enough, I don't wanna take the chance," she told me before shutting the door.
*10ks Pov*
Doc and I were alittle ways from the house as he kept picking different plants, "so kid you told her yet," he asked making red explode on my face, "no," I said as I did a 360 looking for Z's. He shook his head, "kid you need to tell her, I mean anyone could tell you guys liked each other," he told me but I still had my doubts, "what if she doesn't like me back," I asked as Doc face palmed, "10k anyone, even a Z, could tell she's head over heels for you," he told me, "now either tell her or one of us will," he spoke, I thought over his words before nodding my head, "ok I'll tell her tonight," I told him, as he smiled. We headed back towards the house, "are those herbs really gonna help her," I asked him, he shook his head, "no I was just gonna give her some advil, I just needed an excuse to talk to you," he told me dumping the herbs on the ground, "hell I don't even know what some of them are," he said.
*normal Pov*
I striped out of my cloths and got into the water, I heard Cassandra come back in as she placed some cloths on the sink. She sat by the tub, she picked up a cup and dumped water on my head before shampooing and conditioning it. I wasn't paying attention as I felt her lift my hair and gasp, I quickly sank lower in the water, "Aly wh-what happened," she asked quietly, I sighed but sat up in the water and exposed my back and shoulders, "I told you guys the year after Jason passed I became his stress reliever,"I told her as tears sprang to my eyes. She noticed one on the center of my back, likely touching it I shivered, "what's this one," she asked, "he branded me wanted everyone to know I was his, he never did anything like 'that' to me just the whips, hits and burns," I told her before I felt her hug me as we both started crying. After we calmed down she continued to wash my hair and the dirt off of me as she told me about Tobias and all the stuff she had to do to survive. When I was done and dried, she handed me the clothes she had brought, it was a long sleeved black shirt, grey shorts and grey socks. The shirt smelt fimilar as I recognized the scent as 10ks, I blush as Cassandra saw and chuckled, "yeah I couldn't find a shirt so 10k said to take this one," she told me gathering my normal cloths, "I'll wash these for you tonight, now come on I think Warren and Murphy are done with dinner," she told me as we went downstairs. "Cas your the best," I told her rounding the corner where everyone was seated, she gave me a sideways hug, "and your the sister I always wish I had," she told me as I sat down by 10k. "I hope you all like it," Warren said as we all dug in, "oh man this is the best," Doc said with his mouthful of the soup, "it really is guys," I said as I smiled lucky to have such a wonderful makeshift family. After we all ate, 10k helped me up to bed once I took the medicine Doc gave me. As soon as I was under the covers, I grabbed hold of his hand asking him to lay with me, he crawled next to me as I cuddled into chest. 10ks heart sped up as he thought this would be the right moment to confess, clearing his throat he spoke, "Aly I know we haven't know each other for a long time but I don't think I'll ever meet someone like you. What I'm trying to say is that I really l-like you," he said as he waited for a response. The only thing he heard was my soft snores, he grinned and chuckled as he pressed his lips to my forehead before closing his eyes. He thought I was asleep I smiled, but I heard his confession and I was gonna answer but soon he was snoring, I thought I'd tell him soon enough. The next morning we had the truck loaded and were gonna catch up with Mack and Addy, I had on my normal clothing but I decided to pull my hair up halfway. I was feeling so much better as I climbed in the back and sat next to 10k, I still haded confessed to him but I was going to sooner or later but for now we had a mission to continue.