Creep

Everyone was always screaming suddenly and running away. Years had been spent trying to understand why. It was like trying to determine god's existence. Answers slipped away like a suicidal person jumping. I fled to the desert just to escape. Everyone feared me just like I feared them. But there was no escaping my brain's noises. Voices.

They spoke to me all lonesome day long. It would be okay if they were comforting. Instead they echoed the screams I fled from. Internalised what I said aloud just to hear.

 Compact, sun-baked sand stayed beneath my feet. Forearms burned under the blazing ball of gas. Shoulders hunched over under the weight of nothing.

 Endless. Every second of tormenting pain was simply endless.

 I saw something strange in the near distance. Feet dragging along the ground, I hurried forward. I searched for the word in my brain. It was there somewhere beneath the screaming...

 Mirror.

 And then I saw why people screamed.

 A hunched, thin figure was reflected before me. It couldn't be me, and yet it was. Peppermint green cotton hung loosely on my frame. Feminine leather gloves shielded my hands from sunshine. The worst part was what masked my face. Material clung to the frame of my skull. Pointed. The top stuck up like a singular horn. Breathing holes were made- but not by me. I had no idea of the mask's origins. I had no knowledge of my own origins.

 Black chasms where the eyes should be stared out. They led to nowhere and absolutely terrified me. I reached up to tear off the mask...

 Nothing. My hands felt nothing- not skin, not material.

 And I realised I was nothing at all.