chapter nineteen

"Hands up where I can see them!" the cop's voice is booming. I'm still on the ground, blood pooling around me, a red ocean that I'm slowly drowning in. Ashton is at my side, trying to comfort me as the tears roll down my face in waterfalls. I can't move my shoulder. I feel sick to my stomach.

Luke puts his arms up above his head, which surprises me. He was never the type to follow orders.

"I'm so scared." I whisper to Ashton, a few tears rolling down my cheeks.

"You're okay, Jane. You're okay, I promise." He whispers back.

A police officer approaches Luke with handcuffs as another holds a gun pointed at him, ready to fire. My breath catches in my throat, I can hardly breathe for a second. I hate him, I hate him so much. But I can't watch this. I can't watch this play out as much as I'd like for him to rot in a cell.

"Hey! We need help over here!" Ashton screams as everything gets foggy, his face blurring. My eyes are closing and I know I'm losing a lot of blood.

"Don't you dare close your eyes, Jane!" Ashton is practically screaming at me, holding me in his arms and brushing strands of hair out of my face. "Call an ambulence, dammit!"

"Ashton-" I begin, but he shushes me.

"You're gonna be alright. I promise. You just have to keep your eyes open. They'll take you to the hospital and you'll be okay. You have to be. I love you so much." His eyes widen when he says it, and I grip his hand with all the strength I have. My eyes flutter closed again, but this time, they don't open.

"Jane! Dammit, Jane!" It sounds like he's in a fish bowl. I'm fading, fading, fading so fast and I'm not sure if any air is going to my lungs, not sure if blood is pumping through my veins. I think I'm dying. There's a siren sounding in the distance, but then everything goes completely silent. No sounds. No vision. Nothing at all.

------

I wake up clutching sheets that aren't my own. My head is pounding and there is a loud beeping, making me press my hands against my ears. My vision is blurry and I panic, before a curly, blonde haired boy comes into view.

"Ashton?" I whisper.

"You're okay," he breathes. "I was so afraid I was gonna lose you."

I weakly grab his hand. "You didn't. You're never gonna lose me." I smile.

"I hope not," He kisses my forehead. "I love you." He runs his fingers gently on my cheek.

"I love you, too." He grins at me. "Thank you so much for being a good person."

"Miss Cambridge?" A woman in white walks into the room holding a clipboard. She has short strawberry blonde hair and green eyes and fair skin. I cringe. They used to call me that in Rivercliff.

"It's Jane. Call me Jane." I say weakly.

"Jane," she corrects herself. "I'm Nurse Bishop. I've been checking up on you for the past twenty four hours. So has Dr. Walkins. You're stable, you just lost a lot of blood."

I sigh. I'm okay.

"We dressed your wound. It'll heal. You may not be able to move your arm for a while. We definitely don't recommend lifting anything. You'll probably have to just rest for a couple of weeks. Your friend here said he would take care of you." She winks at me and my cheeks flush.

"You should be able to leave in the next couple of days. We need to keep a close eye on your vitals. The doctor will be in to check on you in a couple hours."